Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does size matter

Originally posted by brewer63 View Post
    .... I would like to increase the hieght of my dome to allow me to put in a little larger door.
    I did that by elevating my hendo (indispensable tool) tool.
    Last edited by Lburou; 09-22-2013, 10:08 AM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Gday lee will check it out
      cheers john

Comment

Gday all, does anyone know if you can use a steel cut off saw with a masonry blade to cut fire bricks.This will be done dry unlike a brick saw.Just thought it may be a way to save a dollar or two.
        Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by brewer63 View Post
          Gday all, does anyone know if you can use a steel cut off saw with a masonry blade to cut fire bricks.This will be done dry unlike a brick saw.Just thought it may be a way to save a dollar or two.
          Cheers John
          John - this thread has veered way off course. To your point, yes. It will eat up the saw faster than it was intended but you can do it (protect your lungs because the dust will be nasty).
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
            John - this thread has veered way off course. To your point, yes. It will eat up the saw faster than it was intended but you can do it (protect your lungs because the dust will be nasty).
            Rig up a water feed to the blade
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

John,

I would highly recomend using water. I dont know about where you are in Australia, but here in the states there seems to be a pretty good supply of used brick saws on the cheap. I used a brand called "Target" brick saw, it worked famously and cant imagine cutting all the bricks I used in my build dry. The few bricks I had to cut dry made for a real dust storm and would not be good to breath. I have seen here In the forum where guys have used the steel chop saw with a diamond blade with a make shift water supply that have appeared to work well.

There are many benifits to the use of a brick saw not to mention the recirculating water supply like: rolling table, foot pedal operation and adjustable guide.
              Chris

Link to my photo album:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Hey John - I would strongly recommend that you find a wet saw. I found a second hand 14 inch one in good nick with a new(ish) blade for $425 and there is life in the blade yet after the job is done. I am sure that I could sell it for more than I paid for it but being a tool hoarder I will probably keep it. You never know!! The dust from all of the cutting would be nasty and the water is the difference when it comes to blade wear.
                I found mine on Gumtree.

Good luck with the build.
                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                  Hey John - I would strongly recommend that you find a wet saw. I found a second hand 14 inch one in good nick with a new(ish) blade for $425 and there is life in the blade yet after the job is done....snip...
                  Good advice! I bought a used saw and sold it for what I paid. Only cost was the replacement blade. Take some time to find the used one.
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks all you blokes.Looks like Ill have to bite the bullet and buy at wet one.
                    Well Les you may be right, but i thought that this forum was for dumb a#@!# like myself .
                    OK back to the main issue ,size. After doing lots of reading and procrastinating i am going with either a 1200mm or 1300mm high dome as Lburou has suggested.This will do the job nicely.

Cheers John

Comment

Gday all , well in a couple of weeks(hopefully) we'll have some concrete in the ground. With the weather now cooling it's a good time to do some concreting. The plan is to use 150mm(6") for the whole slab,so if i need to do anything else it wont be a problem. So thanks for all your feed back and will join you all in another forum. Cheers john

Comment

Gday all,now with the weather cooler its time to do some concreting. The plan is to make the whole slab 150 mm(6") thick so if i need /want to build anything else its not a problem. So thanks for your feed back and i'll see you all in another forum,with photos��. Cheers john.

Comment

Working...
                        X