Does size matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does size matter

I have being trying to work out what size oven to build. Have looked at vault ovens and was content to build a 900x1200mm id oven. However, THE WIFE, came across FB site and printed out the Pompeii oven instruction booklet.::All this has done is confused matters.
    So since that day I'v being on the net researching and researching.
    I'v got approx 400 fire bricks and I am lucky enough to have plenty of room.
    We are putting in a BBQ area that includes this oven. SO what size!!!

Re: Does size matter

Apparently size does matter.. Lots more reading and planing and came up with a few things. 1 . Needs to be able to cook for 15/20 ppl at xmas. 2 Has to fit a 20" camp oven and anyone whos cooked in one of these knows how well they cook anything.3 must be good on wood. IE doesnt need a truck load to heat it up. So the thought is for a 1200mm oven. Cheersjohn.

Comment

John

I'm just now putting the finnishing touches on a 42" 1066mm Pompeii, I would not recomend building anything smaller at all unless space demands it.

1: I think I could feed 20 people no problem

2on't know what a camp oven is but my inner arch height is 12" high which I understand is a must in comparison to dome height.

3:Mine seem pretty good on wood, I can hit pizzza cooking temps in 90mins

Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html
      Last edited by hodgey1; 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM. Reason: Hit enter and posted to soon & spelling
      Chris

Link to my photo album:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

I just built a 32" at my new home, my other oven was a 38". Still others I have built range from 36"-42". Having used all of them, I don't think there is a big advantage from one to another, other than space.

Further consider if you want to build a Neapolitan Dome (low) or a Tuscan Dome ( high/Pompeii).

My worthless opinion is if you want a versatile and relatively easy to build oven it would be a.........

36" Tuscan.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Don't despair Brewer! I was building a barrel oven, even had the base completed when I switched to the fornobravo pompeii oven. I built a one meter oven using about 240 fire bricks. The most important thing I could tell you, (after recommending the pompeii oven), is to insulate, insulate, insulate!

I can cook two or three 12 inch pizzas at the same time and could easily cook for 30 people. David s has a very small oven and cooks for large groups with that small oven. HTH
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

This link might answer your immediate questions. HTH
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

The limitation of pizza is how fast they can be built rather than how fast they cook. My point is that if the oven can cook 2 at a time you're golden.. After this, you'll want to consider what you'll ask the oven to cook at one time, a large roast or small pig or large turkey or all of the above and all of the associated side dishes.. How high and how wide is the largest turkey that you can find and that you would reasonably consider cooking?

Chris

PS a bit bigger, more than what you foresee needing, is better than a bit smaller... within reason.
              Last edited by SCChris; 09-06-2013, 09:48 AM.

Comment

^^^ agree with Chris. Almost any oven 30" or up can cook pizza for a crowd. The more limiting factor is door size if you want to cook other things. How big of a pan do you need to push through the door? And since door height is 63% of dome height, which is typically close to or the same as your to your oven radius... you can kind of get to the answer that way.

I know for my oven, one of the things I do the most outside of pizza is paella - and the biggest pan I can get in my oven door is 18". That feeds about 12 people - but I want to do any more, I am out of luck!
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I cooked 60 9" pizzas last night in my little 21"mobile oven. It took just under two and a half hours. Doing 90 sec- 2 min pizzas with three floor recharges. For a function like this I would have preferred a larger oven or two small ones. We turned customers away telling them to return in 20 mins because the line up was too big. I had worked out the exact quantities of ingredients required for four different pizzas and when we hit 60 closed shop. We could have gone a lot longer and probably sold 100, but frankly by the time I've done 60 I over it anyway. Had 2 prepping, one taking money and coordinating customer orders and me firing and cooking as well as cutting and boxing. We were a well oiled machine.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                    ^^^ agree with Chris. Almost any oven 30" or up can cook pizza for a crowd. The more limiting factor is door size if you want to cook other things. How big of a pan do you need to push through the door? And since door height is 63% of dome height, which is typically close to or the same as your to your oven radius... you can kind of get to the answer that way.

I know for my oven, one of the things I do the most outside of pizza is paella - and the biggest pan I can get in my oven door is 18". That feeds about 12 people - but I want to do any more, I am out of luck!
                    Hi DJ would be interested in finding out more about your paella cooking. I love paella and have 2 favorite recipes and I recently purchased a large paella pan. Would be interested in any recipes tips on using in a WFO
                    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Gday all ,thanks for the feed back. Food for thought.Ive a couple questions:
                      1 Does the door size have to be 63% of the dome size or can it be say 55% if the oven is large enough.
                      2 What is the difference between a tuscan and a pompeii dome.And how much harder is it to build.
                      3 How much insulation is enough.
                      4 How thick should the render be.
                      5 Can I use fire bricks on top of the concrete layer then tiles for the floor,or would this be to much.

Cheers John

Comment

Hi John
                        I would download and read the free Forno Bravo Pompeii oven plans which will answer all of those questions in detail .

Chris
                        Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

Thanks Chris. Its the one the minister of war and finance down loaded for me a couple of weeks ago.:-[ Have red it again and things are starting to become a little clearer. So i guess i need to read it a few more times.lol It looks like a tuscan dome for me.
                          Well have started digging the foundations they are 7.0m x 7.3m x 0.1m ,with in that is the pad for the oven @ 2.5m x 2.5m x 0.150m. Yaaaa hooooo.:-) Cheers John

Comment

Gday all, have a bit of confusion in the old brain box. I would like to increase the hieght of my dome to allow me to put in a little larger door.
                            Can I stand a brick on its end and start the first coarse from there giving me 230mm xtra in hieght. Possible?
                            Cheers john

Comment

Hi John, as you will read in the FB pompii oven plans, the inner arch height has to be a percenntage of the dome height to preform properly. I am at the finnishing stages of a 42" Tuscan WFO. My dome height as recomended in the plans is 21", the inner arch height is 12" and the width is 20". The lower the dome height I believe will cook at pizza better if that is a persons main goal, but all I do in mine is at the end of cooking a pie I do what is called "domeing"and hold the pie on the peel up at the dome to finissh the top for just a few seconds.

chris
                              Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

Working...
                              X