Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to start and confused already!

Hi all,

I have read (and reread) the FB pdf - a couple of things that I found I didnt understand...apologies if these sound really daft

1) when building hearth - it says 'recommend dry stacking your blocks' - what does this mean? do I mortar the first course and then just stack the others on with no mortar? do i need to mortar them at some point after dry stacking?

2) To form or to indispensible tool?

3) The optional arch with vent - if I have one of these do i still need a chimney?

appreciate any feedback,
    h

Re: About to start and confused already!

H?,
    Q1: If your slab if level you can just dry stack the block. I suggest you use rebar (set into the slab) and fill every other core with concrete. If your slab is not level use mortar on the first course to get it level. Depending on your plans you may want to separate the block 3/8 inch to compensate the missing mortar joint. I did NOT see this coming when I used the decorative brick for the finish - I had to make a lot of needless cuts.

Q2: Did not use the tool - I used a half vane, pretty simple and it obviously worked. Both approaches have merits.

Q3: You need a chimney. When the gasses leave the chamber they will escape through the vent. The chimney helps with the draw.

If any of this is vague I apologize - it's been a long day for me...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

thanks for the response! Do you recommend I mortar all the blocks if I cannot sink the rebars into the slab? (I have already done the slab a while ago)...and do i then still need rebars?
      Hope you get soem r&r!

cheers,
      h

Comment

Originally posted by hlcr View Post
        thanks for the response! Do you recommend I mortar all the blocks if I cannot sink the rebars into the slab? (I have already done the slab a while ago)...and do i then still need rebars?
        We like confused people.......

Get some 12mm y bar and a 12mm masonry bit lay out your blockwork dry so you know the core spacings then drill some holes in the slab, hammer the y bar in, its not going anywhere.

The starter bars need only be 500mm long, finish off the base and poke in some more y bar when you have filled the cores with concrete.

Bunnings sell the blocks but you need to take your first born as a down payment.
        Abri Masonry sell blocks, dont get versalocks.

There is no need for mortar as long as the slab is levelish.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi hlcr
          Welcome aboard great to have another Melbourneite, on board.

Ditto to les and Brickie said.

I used both a template and IT. First for shape second for circumference. Reason I didn't build, a hemispheric done. Mine is a little flatter.

What you do depend s on how fussy you are, budget timeframe.
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

You are in the right place to be confused and ask questions!!! I remember being about to start and thinking holy $%*& there is not way I can do this!

It is a lot clearer now! (no pun intended!)

Keep the questions coming!

One suggestion - please post pictures - they help a lot and will help you get better answers. Show us the place where you will build your base!

Comment

You are in the right place to be confused and ask questions!!! I remember being about to start and thinking holy $%*& there is no way I can do this!

It is a lot clearer now! (no pun intended!)

Keep the questions coming!

One suggestion - please post pictures - they help a lot and will help you get better answers. Show us the place where you will build your base!

Comment

Thanks for the responses and support!
                And to my next questions:-D

I see a lot of stands made out of red clay bricks, do these go all thru or are they put on after on the outside face to cover ugly breeze blocks?

Is it ok to use a flat lintel to support the bblocks on front (on top of arch) or does it have to be angle (avoiding grinding blocks to fit the lip of the angle iron.)

Cheers,
                H
                Ps, will try and get some pics up too

Comment

Q1: The decorative brick is put on after, you could also stucco, stone, etc...
                  Q2: Not sure where you are planning to use the metal but flat steel and heat usually creates something that is hot and not flat. The angle iron has a lot more strength
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by hlcr View Post
                    Thanks for the responses and support!
                    And to my next questions:-D

I see a lot of stands made out of red clay bricks, do these go all thru or are they put on after on the outside face to cover ugly breeze blocks?

Is it ok to use a flat lintel to support the bblocks on front (on top of arch) or does it have to be angle (avoiding grinding blocks to fit the lip of the angle iron.)

Cheers,
                    H
                    Ps, will try and get some pics up too
                    When you go to a place to buy the blocks (not bunnies) ask for some bond beams you dont need a lintel at all with bond beams, do a google for them to see how they work.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday
                      Whichever way you go brick or block . Consider building a H pattern.
                      Why ? One entrance gives you a big stowage which you have only one way in and out . There is always going to be wood locked in the back if you fill it up .
                      A H patern give you 2 shallow stowages which are more excessable and manageable.
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

If you are a visual learner, (85% of us are), you might get some help at BA's Dome. Posts #10-12 show how to do what Les and Brickie are talking about. HTH
                        Last edited by Lburou; 09-14-2013, 10:18 PM.
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

FWIW, because of the critter and reptile populations in my yard, we closed the space under the hearth. Looks better and no bending (I have back problems). We are happy with it that way.
                          Lee B.
                          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Also, for what its worth, I'd have to agree with Lburou. I was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider this spring while working on my oven, a 4 week adventure...so for me, filling up a chamber with wood and having all those nooks and crannies seem the perfect place for nasties to live. My base allready has the "wood hole" and I'll leave it, but, I'm not going to stock it with wood.....Plus one of my dogs seems to think its her house. This may not be a problem in your area.
                            " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

so I got my angle irons - i know i'm supposed to take a piece off each side to make them sit flat on the blocks - it seems a bit thick to do with a grinder probly take forever and a day! any other options? someone suggested i go to a forger? if you know of one in melbourne (i'm NW & 8ks from cbd) that would be great!

due to space issues i had to build a U shape with storage - we tend to get a lot of spiders, but apparently you can scare them away with citronella...will let you know if it works!
                              Last edited by hlcr; 09-30-2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X