have i made a cock up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have i made a cock up

Hi all Just built a wood oven and I am not sure I have used the right stuff to line it.... I have used a mix of 10% fine vermiculite 20% medium vermiculite 35% hymod clay and 35% cement fondu refractory grade the lining is about 12 inch thick I am just in the middle of curing it so I hope it is right

Re: have i made a cock up

Jack,
    It would seem you have created a mix of insulating and heat retaining materials. The vermiculite being the insulating and the hymod (high modulous?) clay and Fondu being heat retaining. Actually I look on Fondu as the glue which binds other stuff together, as in regular concrete the cement simply binds the sand and aggregate together. The hymod clay I am not familiar with, however a search of "hymod clay" brings this:

Imerys Ceramics | Products for Sanitaryware, Tableware, Tiles
    and
    Ball Clay | Imerys Minerals for the Petroleum Industry

The term Hymod clay would appear to cover several materials or several different uses for a class of materials. It is used in several applications from ceramics to simulated drill slurry. However, what are its heat transfer properties? They list in the specs the contraction at various fairly high temps and it's strength but nothing about heat transfer. Not saying it wouldn't work but this is the first time I have seen such a mixture.

Where did you get this particular recipe? Usually WFOs have a heat retaining layer surrounded by an insulating layer. However, cob WFOs and such are usually all one material....is this what you are doing? Sort of creating a high tech cob like material? Not criticizing, just trying to find out what you are doing/ asking.

Bests,
    Wiley

Comment

I work for a refractory production firm so this is a product we make I just thought I would.be a a good thing to use

Comment

Your mix will work fine and at 12" thick will be plenty to keep in the heat.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X