opps is this really firebrick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opps is this really firebrick?

I came across an ad on Craigslist for some left over firebrick and long story short I bought them .I got them home and realized they are only 8" x 2 3/16th" x 4" a full 1 inch shy of the other firebrick I have and they are much rougher in texture and they weight about 5 lbs. Did i get taken? I never heard of 8" firebrick. The color is darker as well. any thoughts? how can i tell if it is real?
    Last edited by CapeFearHydroGardens; 12-19-2013, 02:43 PM.

Re: opps is this really firebrick?

Post a pic of the brick. As far as 8" vs 9", IMHO, you should be okay. The key is to insulate the dome well. The dome thickness will be 4" vs 4.5" and if you are really concern you can always clad the dome with some refractory material but I don't believe you will need to.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

They are like people, they come in all sizes. Why would you think that they would be trying to screw you around, rather than making an honest mistake?

Comment

Originally posted by CapeFearHydroGardens View Post
        I came across an ad on Craigslist for some left over firebrick and long story short I bought them .I got them home and realized they are only 8" x 2 3/16th" x 4" a full 1 inch shy of the other firebrick I have and they are much rougher in texture and they weight about 5 lbs. Did i get taken? I never heard of 8" firebrick. The color is darker as well. any thoughts? how can i tell if it is real?
        The low duty fire brick I used is the same exact dimension and texture as you describe.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

thanks everyone. As to your asking why do i think they might be "screwing me around" as you say well I didn't i actually thought someone might have screwed them around and I wanted to check before I said anything to them. I figured that they should be told that the project they used these brick for might not be safe. As it turns out I brought them to a brick place I discovered about 20 miles from my home and they were indeed firebrick. Jusr really crappy ones according to the brick guy at he brick store. oh and the only one that got screwed was me I paid a dollar apiece for these and the brick guy sells the exact same bricks for 60 cents each. So oh well live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by CapeFearHydroGardens View Post
            thanks everyone. As to your asking why do i think they might be "screwing me around" as you say well I didn't i actually thought someone might have screwed them around and I wanted to check before I said anything to them. I figured that they should be told that the project they used these brick for might not be safe. As it turns out I brought them to a brick place I discovered about 20 miles from my home and they were indeed firebrick. Jusr really crappy ones according to the brick guy at he brick store. oh and the only one that got screwed was me I paid a dollar apiece for these and the brick guy sells the exact same bricks for 60 cents each. So oh well live and learn.
            Gudday
            a buck a brick.....bargain!.... I paid $3.30 a brick 3 years ago in Aust. how knows what there worth now

Regards Dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

The refractory supplier I have used has bricks in both sizes you mentioned , 1/2's and 1/4's and various arch shapes. I don't think you got ripped off.
              jon

Comment

Don't get me wrong I don't mind paying for things, but when you can get the same brick for .60 and you pay 1.00 you over paid. But like i said it is a learning experience. I thought I had done my homework but as the saying goes I only knew enough to be dangerous lol. At least i learned that the 88 bricks i got were real firebrick and that I have a good source right here in north Carolina for good firebrick and a pretty good price. I can get the medium duty 4x9x2 3/16 inch for only 1.50 USD each, all the other quotes I have had are 1.85-1.95 USD each.The best part is they are only twenty miles away. Again Thanks to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                X