dome oven size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dome oven size

i am building a dome brick oven and in reading, articles refer to 27, 36 and 42" ovens whether they be brick or clay. Is there a reason I shouldn't build for example a 32" oven as long as my height and opening ratios are correct?

Re: dome oven size

None at all.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I guess as long as the size fits your intended purposes, any size is fine.
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Check Davids out his is even smaller.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

What is an ideal size ?
          For 2 people mainly and very occasionally 4 to 6 ?
          I want to do 2 full size pizzas weekly
          I would do 2 loaves of sour-dough weekly
          And a shoulder of pork or lamb weekly.
          Obviously with the minimal size for less wood use, but big enough to fit the pan with shoulder and veg or 12 inch pizza or 2 loaves through the door.(not all at once )

Comment

I am doing a 90 cm for a couple of reasons:

1. Space/ Area

2. Casa 90 seems to be a best seller in kit/modular form.

3. I hope to be able to fit a turkey but that is not a must.

4. Space, Space, Space.

5. I would go to 100-110 cm if I had the room.

BTW, for me cost was not a factor.

Hope this helps.

Comment

The potential of a 36" oven is significant. There is not much you can not fit through the door and if you have it up to temp then you will pump more pizza out of there than most will ever need, and quickly as well. Try 2 every 90 seconds or so x however long you want to cook.

It is more about how you use it.
              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Forgot the xmas turkey or ham can that fit in a 36 ?

Comment

Mine is 540mm (21") and a 5kg (10lb) turkey will just fit.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

How big is the door on your 21" ?
                    W and H

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
                      How big is the door on your 21" ?
                      W and H
                      400 x160 mm inner door
                      440 x 180 mm outer decorative arch

Comment

Good start-up question...

Hopefully I am not piggy backing on your thread, hopefully my questions adds to the overall mix.

One of the questions I have been pondering is the maximum width of a door opening correlating to the height (63%) of the internal dome. I am building a 42Lx36W barrel (all-in-one) oven. My ideal height is 12" for the inside viewing and look, which would make the middle of the dome about 19" (way to high, heating + $$$)...how is the math .

What would be a good formula to insure a wide enough opening (for those rare big dish moments) without sacrificing the 63% magic number for an overall effective build in minimizing wood burning, fast heat buildup (within an hr) great heat retention for few days).

I understand one needs to take into account the overall insulating factors from the to above dome and so forth.

Your Thoughts
                        Thanks,
                        Sandro

Comment

Originally posted by Saovicente View Post
                          Good start-up question...

Hopefully I am not piggy backing on your thread, hopefully my questions adds to the overall mix.

One of the questions I have been pondering is the maximum width of a door opening correlating to the height (63%) of the internal dome. I am building a 42Lx36W barrel (all-in-one) oven. My ideal height is 12" for the inside viewing and look, which would make the middle of the dome about 19" (way to high, heating + $$$)...how is the math .

What would be a good formula to insure a wide enough opening (for those rare big dish moments) without sacrificing the 63% magic number for an overall effective build in minimizing wood burning, fast heat buildup (within an hr) great heat retention for few days).

I understand one needs to take into account the overall insulating factors from the to above dome and so forth.

Your Thoughts
                          Thanks,
                          Sandro
                          You can't really have it both ways. Oven design is like boat design. Flat hull vs V hull, long waterline vs short waterline etc. if you make the walls thin for fast heat up then you reduce the retained heat baking capacity. There is no formula for door width, but the wider it is the easier the access to the oven and easier to work. The downside is that a wide door will increase heat loss. A big oven means bigger chamber volume and more fuel consumption. Most home owners only cook one pizza at at a time because it takes longer to prepare one than it does to cook it. That means you have wasted space and fuel. If you want to feed 50 or more, then you probably need a large oven. With a low dome you end up with a low door which also restricts the height of a large roast through your door. You have to decide how and what you will be cooking.
                          Last edited by david s; 02-17-2014, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X