Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disassambling/Relocating an WFO

Greetings all,
    I'm a long time lurker with grand plans of building an igloo style WFO and outdoor kitchen.

We have talked about this at work and the other day my boss was talking to his uncle who said "Do you know anyone who wants a free pizza oven, it came with the house, I don't use it and it's taking up too much of my shed."

My boss was there on the weekend and took this photo so I know what I'm up for:

He said the base is about 2.4m square.

So here's the catch/where I require your experience and advice.
    • It does not fit through the door of the shed.
    • There is no vehicle access to the backyard so it needs to be reduced to wheelbarrow loads.
    • It is located 300km away so I would like to get it dismantled, loaded into a trailer and home in a weekend.
    • How do I best store the pile of dismembered WFO until I'm ready to build.

What is the best way to disassemble, relocate and store the oven without completely destroying everything?

Would anyone care to speculate at what the weight might be and how long it would take 2 or 3 blokes to disassemble and load up the pile of oven.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
    Jordan.

Re: Disassambling/Relocating an WFO

Interesting problem you have there. It would be hard to answer your questions without knowing more about how the oven was constructed and insulated (ie. How big is it? Was it built with fire bricks or casted refractory panels? Was it insulated with insulating bricks/ceramic blankets or a layer of perlcrete/vermicrete? I’ll assume you don’t know the answer to these questions. However, based on the picture it looks like it might be a type of commercial oven which are often constructed with prefabricated refractory sections/panels for the dome and hearth floor. It would be tricky to salvage something like that.

As for weight you are probably looking at 1500# or more depending on the size of the oven and base construction.

I am a HUGE fan of reclaimed materials, but I've got to say that I am skeptical that this would be worth the effort, unless the owner is willing to pay you to remove it. I understand that firebrick is really expensive in Oz so maybe it would be worth it to you (assuming you can salvage these materials). If it is not constructed of firebrick and is constructed of casted sections instead, I suspect that much of these materials (and your time) would be wasted in the process.

Good Luck, let us know what you decide to do.
    AT
    Last edited by ATK406; 01-28-2014, 11:00 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

It certainly is an interesting dilemma you have. Were you able to get a fork lift into the picture you might be able to do some interesting stuff. Like removing the chimney and flue and cutting the whole thing off below the slab. If you have to take it apart completely (don't get much into a wheelbarrow) it would be almost better and easier to spend your energy in starting from scratch.

Your bosses uncle would probably want to keep and use it if he got a bit of therapy.
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

You could cut a hole in the roof and hire a crane.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          Yeah. Lift it out in one piece or forget it.

Comment

Hahaha! I don't know about OZ but in the states, a crane would cost a ton of money, never mind the time and cost to rebuild the shed roof.

Get the floor material if you can and build one yourself. I'm with ATK on this, I doubt the effort is worth it.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
              Hahaha! I don't know about OZ but in the states, a crane would cost a ton of money, never mind the time and cost to rebuild the shed roof.

Get the floor material if you can and build one yourself. I'm with ATK on this, I doubt the effort is worth it.
              I totally agree, a rebuild would be better and crane hire here is outrageous too, but it is a solution to the problem. Baron Von Chickenpants asked for solutions re removal and it would be a better solution than cutting it into pieces and trying to reassemble it. Who knows, he may have access to a crane.
              Last edited by david s; 01-29-2014, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input and creative solutions

Unfortunately a crane is out, although I would love to be able to just pick it up and bring it home, it is just completely impossible to get to the shed, even from neighboring yards.

My understanding is the oven is 25-30 years old, the present owners purchased the house in 2000 and haven't had the inclination to use it in this time, now he wants to get it out of the way so that he can get his lathe and table saw into the shed.

The previous owners were an Italian family who used the oven almost constantly.

I'm fairly certain construction is brick, not refractory panels panels, but no clue as to the insulation or render layering.

I am told the external size is approx 2.4 metres/8 feet, I don't have the space or need for an oven this size and am really only looking at it as a source of materials.

Has anyone dismantled an oven before? Are there any techniques to employ to aid in the process?

I'm still undecided but pretty keen even if just to reverse engineer how it's made and get a few bricks.

Thanks again for your help,
                Jordan.

Comment

Then get a sledge hammer to it and retrieve the bricks, then build your own.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronVonChickenPants View Post

Has anyone dismantled an oven before? Are there any techniques to employ to aid in the process?
                    I have, around 10-12 historic beehive ovens ( dont remember exactly) , but none of them were close to 8'.....I think the largest one was probably around 36".

For an oven like that size since you don't need all the material, giving it the sledge treatment might be a good idea...though I wouldn't bash the whole thing apart with one.

I would knock hole in the roughest looking top section of the dome and from there, use a chisel to chip off the cladding...if you have a pneumatic chisel or a combi hammer ( hammer drill/chisel) that would speed things up.

Working from the top down, I would only remove enough cladding to work a few courses at a time, so that from that point all you need to do is loosen and remove the bricks in each course.

Doing it that way saves a lot of material and avoids putting fissures in the brick from the impact of a sledge.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Looking at the picture again, I would remove the vent and throat to create some working room, and salvage material from the dome and floor.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks Stonecutter,
                        that sounds like a well developed technique and just what I was looking for.

I do have a couple of combi-hammers and hopefully I can enlist some labourers to help on the promise of future pizzas.

Thank you everyone for your help, I will make sure I take plenty of pictures and provide progress updates.

Regards,
                        Jordan.

Comment

Gudday Jordan
                          Plenty of pis sounds great! We have plenty of construction pics but none the other way . An oven dissection sounds interesting
                          Regards Dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                            Gudday Jordan
                            Plenty of pis sounds great!
                            Regards Dave
                            The combination of alcohol and demolition work sounds like fun, if a little dangerous.

Comment

The combination of alcohol and demolition work sounds like fun, if a little dangerous.
                              Gudday
                              You seem to be the only one that enjoys predictive text
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                              X