Curved fire bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curved fire bricks

Has anyone on here made a dome oven from curved fire brick? I have used the search but could not find anything.
    I have just bought a kit and will post up some photos when I get a chance.

Cheers James

Re: Curved fire bricks

What do you mean by "curved fire brick"? Do you mean tapered if so I used tapered fire bricks with the diameter of the oven determined by the taper. As the angle of taper is constant in a true circular arch by dry setting the tapered bricks with a spacer can determine the diameter and height

Comment

Thanks for replying toomulla. The bricks have actually been made in a curved shape to allow them to make the shape of the Oven circumference. I am ok with that but a little unsure on either tapering the top an bottom to get the dome shape or use the full bricks and fill the gap left with mortar.
      Cheers James

Comment

I would have some caution with a product such as you describe They would work for a barrel vault but I do not see how they wil work for a dome, as the circles get smaller and more tilted as they rise. You could possibly use the circle shape vertically cutting them in half and tapering the sides.

David S or Cobblerdave may be able to be able to enlighten us all

Comment

Darley firebricks in Bacchus Marsh used to make several different diam. "circle" bricks for Cupola linings years ago before they went broke.

Comment

G'day
            Thanks for the reply Johnny .....out of my pay grade. Did find this

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	303545

Curved fire brick?

Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Curious. Interesting shape brick. Thought it hard enough with my build but curved bricks, that is mind boggling. Nah to hard don't want to think about it.
              Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                Curious. Interesting shape brick. Thought it hard enough with my build but curved bricks, that is mind boggling. Nah to hard don't want to think about it.
                G'day Colin
                Thanks ..... Thanks very bloody much ... Now I'm doing the mental gymnastics on how the thing would fit together. If I disregard the side cuts and work on one plane just the bottom cuts. At first its easy just cut one surface on an angle,the cuts is straight so it will sit straight on the flat surface below. Now bring brick bond into the equation and overlap the bricks. Now I'm not really sure.
                I'm at the point where tomorrow I will make some mini curved firebrick shapes out of EVA stiff foam on the boot sander and see what he shapes turn out like when put together......

Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

In my estimation it would not be so different than using rectangular bricks but maybe a wee bit trickier. The photograph Dave provided seems to have a pretty tight radius ? too tight to form the shape of the dome anyway. I?m guessing tracytracey?s bricks are a little different.

I would imagine the final result would look alot like the inside of our regular firebrick domes except the bricks would have scalloped faces instead of flat faces and it would probably be more difficult to get the horizontal edges to remain flush (or nearly flush) with the courses above and below so there would be more irregularity in the surface. Done well, it might look pretty cool and I'm sure it would work fine - but don't they all?

Comment

That's a brick for the last few courses before topping out.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                    John Ruskin

Comment

In my estimation it would not be so different than using rectangular bricks but maybe a wee bit trickier
                      It shouldn't be. After beveling and tapering my dome bricks, it was a fairly quick process to lightly drag the face of each brick across the saw blade at an angle to create a shallow concave 'dish' shape (both vertically and horizontally).

I know that a large number of builders favor placing an untouched brick face towards the center of the oven to employ a 'best-fired' surface, but I was intent on eliminating the 'I' overbite that results from stacking straight-faced bricks placed in a round.

I would think that manipulating the face of a curved brick would take no more (straight) cuts than shaping a rectangular brick, but would simply be more expensive to start with.

Comment

here is a photo of the ones I have. Not quite as tight as the ones in the previous photo.
                        Cheers James

Comment

G'day James
                          You mentioned in you first post that you had brought a kit with these bricks?. What size oven is this to produce?
                          How many of these curved bricks are supplied?
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

Hi Dave, I have not counted but there should be 160 of them and make an oven up to 1100mm. I am stil in the planing stages at the momont and have not even started the base yet.
                            Cheers
                            James

Comment

G'day
                              160 bricks for the dome sounds like a goodly amount for that size dome even with some cutting.
                              I think that GianniFocaccia comments on curved bricks is spot on you should treat them no differently than strait ones really.
                              You really should read GianniFoccasias build as part of your preparations
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Working...
                              X