Stucco Finish Coat for Dome Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stucco Finish Coat for Dome Oven

I am going to stucco my 36" by ~16" high dome oven with stucco. I will put the ceramic blanket on then stucco. I have 2 questions needing advice:
    1) any advantage to stucco wire mesh lath versus chicken wire - I was thinking of stucco wire mesh lath

2) stucco recipe 1 part portland cement, 1 part lyme, 1 part clay and 5 parts sand. Does this sound ok? I have seen so many recipes and this seems to fit best and give plenty of strength and texture - I live in Cincinnati so hot and humid in summers and cold in winters.

Thanks for any advice and I hope to post a picture of finished oven within 2 weeks -

Re: Stucco Finish Coat for Dome Oven

Originally posted by avkroth View Post
    I am going to stucco my 36" by ~16" high dome oven with stucco. I will put the ceramic blanket on then stucco. I have 2 questions needing advice:
    1) any advantage to stucco wire mesh lath versus chicken wire - I was thinking of stucco wire mesh lath

2) stucco recipe 1 part portland cement, 1 part lyme, 1 part clay and 5 parts sand. Does this sound ok? I have seen so many recipes and this seems to fit best and give plenty of strength and texture - I live in Cincinnati so hot and humid in summers and cold in winters.

Thanks for any advice and I hope to post a picture of finished oven within 2 weeks -
    1) Wire lath...superior.

2) good for a scratch coat. Add a finish coat with another part lime. Forget adding clay to any part of a stucco system.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Any particular reason for skipping the clay

Comment

It's not necessary, and weakens the mix. Why did you think you need it?
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Such a high proportion of clay contributes to shrinkage (more cracks)
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

thanks for responses and NO CLAY IT IS cheers

Comment

Working...
            X