First Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Question

Hi there you guys My name is Alfredo, I live in Tampa Florida and I am a step down from being a newbie so my questions might look stupid; please bear with me while a I get to newbie level LOL I am trying to do my homework and searching the forum first before I ask questions. I have two questions and I have not found a thread with specific answers to my questions (maybe I am not searching well)so I am going to ask.

1.- I know what a vent and a chimney are but in WFO terminology Is Vent and Chimney the same? if not what is the location for each one. Is there any pictures that you guys can share

2.- What is wrong with building the oven with regular bricks and then insulating outside. in some third world countries WFO is a regular house appliance and they use regular materials and natural ways to insulate (like cow manure) and it works perfectly why to increase the costs using Space Age materials?

Thank you so much for any help that you guys can give me.

Alfredo

Re: First Question

The forums are a great place to find information for building WFO's. The vent you're thinking of is probably akin to the flue area opening at the base of the chimney if I understand your question. There's a whole section on chimneys on the forum.

If you're going to build a WFO it would be best to stick with firebricks and a good insulator. Many folks use vermiculite/cement many use only ceramic blanket, and a third option is a combination of the two. Common bricks simply can't take the heat. I think cow manure wouldn't be a viable option on an oven you're building for longevity-best to stick with something more pricey but immensely more effective in retaining heat.

Best wishes on your upcoming build.

Comment

Re: First Question

Originally posted by CV_Oven View Post
      The forums are a great place to find information for building WFO's. The vent you're thinking of is probably akin to the flue area opening at the base of the chimney if I understand your question. There's a whole section on chimneys on the forum.

If you're going to build a WFO it would be best to stick with firebricks and a good insulator. Many folks use vermiculite/cement many use only ceramic blanket, and a third option is a combination of the two. Common bricks simply can't take the heat. I think cow manure wouldn't be a viable option on an oven you're building for longevity-best to stick with something more pricey but immensely more effective in retaining heat.

Best wishes on your upcoming build.
      Some common bricks will take the heat, but the trouble is knowing if they will be suitable or not. If using commons then try at least to use firebricks for the floor because the floor is under more thermal stress than the dome.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
      X