Gas vs Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas vs Wood

I would like to build an oven, but would prefer gas to heat the oven. My plan would be small gatherings cooking maybe 2-3 small pizzas. It just seems easier to use gas.
    I would appreciate help.
    Thanks
    Danny

Re: Gas vs Wood

At first I felt the same way, I was quickly educated on how dangerous a brick built dome could be with fuel like gas. It is a bad idea and something they won't really get into here simply due to a lot of danger simply be an enclosed space.

But, after I thought about it a bit, I realized that I didn't want gas at all. The things you can do with wood and the amount of fun you can have heating your oven trumps gas all day long.

Get a gas bbq - which you probably already have. Save this kind of effort for the wood.

Good luck.
    Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Hi Danny
      I started the build for wood/gas combo, was STRONGLY warned by the forum of the dangers of using gas, realized the dangers of gas and how to be safe against, resumed my project (after some hesitating) adapted for both wood/gas.

However. When I considered wood/gas fuel, some drawbacks came to my design due to gas being far more expensive than wood in my country. The main design modification I was compelled to make was reducing the thermal mass of the oven. But to me, the resultant fuel savings outweigh the advantages offered by the thermal mass, and that is my decision and that is how I want my oven to be.

I could not, however, resist the advantages of a regular wood fired brick oven that Novaslo mentioned, so I am planning to make a second regular wood fired brick oven once I'm done with my project.

PS: The Forno Bravo asked members not to discuss using gas on the forum due to its dangers, and I do understand their willing not to be the cause of any possible damage that may happen to any of the members of the forum so that they look like banning discussing using gas!

Again: If you are decided to use gas, please ask a qualified person to provide and install the gas burner with all the safety equipment necessary. And if you start to discuss gas here and don't find help, that is because nobody wants you to be in danger.
      Bests.
      Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
      I forgot who said that.

Comment

G'day V12
        If you check out the latest Forno newsletter than have a new company. Bella making of all things a wood fired. 308 stainless steel oven. Firebrick floor I'm presuming low mass with a claimed 15 min to pizza heat on wood .
        Sounds awfully like what you after. But you probably would not get the specs as its a new product
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi dave,

Yes. They advertised it today too. One of the surprising facts I read about that oven on the Bella's web site is that its chamber is built from 14-gauge stainless steel. Although my build is not the stainless type, It is about 14 gauge (14-gauge=1.98 mm); mine is 2 mm. That made me happy, because when I used 2 mm steel I was told that it was rather thin.

I was planning to put a thin layer of bricks on the floor and was expecting the oven must eventually reach 400+ C, and to my surprise, I found the Bella's oven putting bricks on the floor and the temperature read 797 F. That was to me like a proof for my concept's vitality, and that will make me more confident resuming what I started.

The main difference-making element was insulation. I already have bought plenty of ceramic blanket insulation, and the light weight insulating fire bricks are already bought and waiting to be delivered (after the supplier's terrible mistake you know). They both cost high, but they are worth the expense.

BTW what did you mean by

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
          Sounds awfully like what you after.
          Regards dave
          Last edited by v12spirit; 06-06-2014, 02:43 AM.
          I forgot who said that.

Comment

Sounds like what you are doing is viable as you aren't going with a brick dome. Most of the restaurant style ones that I have seen are steel or stainless steel and gas using a wood combo etc.

Good luck.
            Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Originally posted by Novaslo View Post
              Sounds like what you are doing is viable as you aren't going with a brick dome. Most of the restaurant style ones that I have seen are steel or stainless steel and gas using a wood combo etc.

Good luck.
              Hi Novaslo,
              Interested to know that! You know something? I used to think in a different way; I was under the impression that the thermal mass is in no way as much useful as for commercial ovens so long as they will need a little fire to maintain the absorbed heat by the bricks, while the thin steel ones are more suitable for home edition ovens because they will be used to feed just a handful of people rather than running 24/7! Curious to know what makes SS ovens preferred to restaurant owners. They should own some suitable advantage for commercial applications that I don't know.
              I forgot who said that.

Comment

G'day
                You are thinking about the oven as a dome only and forgetting about the hearth floor. That still has thermal mass and must be heated through and kept hot from the reflected heat from the dome for it to be effective.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

G'day
                  You are thinking about the oven as a dome only and forgetting about the hearth floor. That still has thermal mass and must be heated through and kept hot from the reflected heat from the dome for it to be effective.
                  Regards dave
                  Hi dave,
                  My oven's hearth is steel too, welded together with the dome in a single body chamber. I'm just planning to lay a thin layer over the steel hearth in order to soften the heat of the steel hearth that may burn out the pizza. The steel hearth being a dense and a highly conductive material will act like a prompt that continuously recharges the bricks by direct contact (conduction) from the bottom. This, along with the radiant heat from the dome, will recharge the bricks from the down and the up side respectively.
                  I forgot who said that.

Comment

Thanks to all who had imput. Sometimes on TV you see a pizza oven with a gas flame in the back of the oven. My thought was to build a pizza oven with ceramic dome with brick floor (as a kit) but heated by gas. I've seen the ad for Bella not liking it being SS.
                    I just thought for a couple of pizzas it would be more efficient.
                    THANKS again
                    Danny

Comment

G'day
                      Forno bravo have a gas system they sell for there commercial ovens as well.
                      Has all the bells and whistles and gas cut off safety's. Professional installed and maintained its as safe and efficient heat source.
                      The damage that a gas explosion would do in an inclosed space like an oven it too horrifying to imagine! Leave it to the professionals. That is why we don't discuss gas and ovens on the forum.
                      Regards Dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once

My Build
                      My Door

Comment

G'day
                        Forno bravo have a gas system they sell for there commercial ovens as well.
                        Has all the bells and whistles and gas cut off safety's. Professional installed and maintained its as safe and efficient heat source.
                        The damage that a gas explosion would do in an inclosed space like an oven it too horrifying to imagine! Leave it to the professionals. That is why we don't discuss gas and ovens on the forum.
                        Regards Dave
                        Understood
                        THANKS

Comment

Working...
                        X