Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza oven and a smoker?

Hi.
    I love the idea of building my own oven - I also love the idea of having a place to smoke meats. Can I have something that would do both? I saw a pic of a smoker that was to the side of an oven but I couldn't find any info on it. Would this be a complicated build? I think I could handle doing a simple black oven out of stone but am not sure if I want to mess around trying to get smoke into an area to do meats. Has anyone done this? Any advice?
    Thanks much for your time.

Re: Pizza oven and a smoker?

Originally posted by Frznrth View Post
    Hi.
    I love the idea of building my own oven - I also love the idea of having a place to smoke meats. Can I have something that would do both? I saw a pic of a smoker that was to the side of an oven but I couldn't find any info on it. Would this be a complicated build? I think I could handle doing a simple black oven out of stone but am not sure if I want to mess around trying to get smoke into an area to do meats. Has anyone done this? Any advice?
    Thanks much for your time.
    Just my opinion:

Build a Pompeii oven. You can add the flavor of smoke to meats by sticking to the FB plans. If you want to smoke/"cure" meats that is a different story. You can do that in a 55 gallon drum or a card board box. But, I would not try combining two separate appliances into the same flu.

just sayin"
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks. I think I'll stick with the pizza oven. If I want to smoke Ill buy a smoker. I would though like to have an outdoor fireplace look to the oven. It wouldn't need to cook more than one pizza at time. I'd also like to be able to see the fire well and get some warmth off it. It's cold here in Alberta way too often.
      Is it still the Pompeii style that I would want?
      Thanks

Comment

I'm thinking I would like an oven that isn't so dome shaped on the outside at least. I could build up the walls to look more like a fireplace while leaving a dome shape inside??? Does anyone happen to have any pics or plans on this sort of beast?

Comment

If you go to the "FB Photos" menu tab, there are hundreds of photos of different style ovens. There are lot of very creative folks out there.

Personally, I didn't like the idea of the domed exterior being exposed to rain....My thinking was that you could easily get a small crack in the outer stucco shell, that you would never know was there, until your insulation became water logged.

I chose a gabled roof style (shown on page 48 of 57). I have a lot more confidence in a shingled roof. Also, the outer walls gives you an enormous amount of additional volume that you can literally fill with vermiculite/perlite for added insulation.

Comment

Frzrth - I'm a little late to this thread but I built a combination pizza oven smoker. Go to my thread under pizza oven photos and it's call Florida Igloo - or just go to the link in my signature. I also have a video on Youtube and on the FB videos section detailing the first part of the build. Still working on the remainder of the video. I can tell you that both the pizza oven and the smoker work very well.

Lee
            Lee

See my oven thread at : http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...gloo-5702.html

Comment

Working...
            X