Mortar the Vee ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortar the Vee ?

Inside my dome, my bricks have a slight Vee, at most 1/8 inch. for the most part with the tools and suggestions from the posts listed on the site, I have been able to eliminate alot of the gaps and have a tight fit between bricks. With the bricks that have the gap on the inside, should I pack mortar in the gap or leave them alone?

Thank you.
    Checker

Re: Mortar the Vee ?

I don't understand.... aren't you putting mortar on the bricks as you lay them? Or are you building a 'dry' oven with very tight joints (as has been done by an expert on this forum!)

if you are mortaring the bricks, which is 'normal', then even with tight joints some of it should be in the VEE. Or am I misunderstanding?

But i think the answer is yes - you want refractory mortar in the gaps.

Neil

Comment

I think you don't need to add any mortar, as long as the bricks are held firmly at the bottom already. Any mortar additions in the "vee" or other gaps are purely cosmetic - and likely to fall out with heat cycling anyway.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
        Or are you building a 'dry' oven with very tight joints (as has been done by an expert on this forum!)

Could you refer to the expert by name or build?
        Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
        I forgot who said that.

Comment

I think that's Les' build he's referring to.

It's a fine build - but I don't think you need to worry about going to that extent. The mortar holds the bricks apart, it doesn't stick them together. As long as you have mortared the wedges at the back and sides (where the gap is greatest), gravity will keep your oven together just fine.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I should have been more descriptive with my thread, my apologies. DeeJayoh understood me correctly. The mortar is placed underneath and on the sides, but apparantly its not coming out, oozing,all the way up front, trying to keep is clean as possible. I worried that if the mortar wasn't flush to the inside, that it would pose a problem.
            Thank you for all the replies!
            Checker

Comment

Originally posted by checker1965 View Post
              Inside my dome, my bricks have a slight Vee, at most 1/8 inch. for the most part with the tools and suggestions from the posts listed on the site, I have been able to eliminate alot of the gaps and have a tight fit between bricks. With the bricks that have the gap on the inside, should I pack mortar in the gap or leave them alone?

Thank you.
              Checker
              In my opinion, as a first time oven builder, I would fill them when you can. However, I dampen the areas first to have any hope of having the mortar adhere for good. I don't think it makes a huge difference in the functionality of the oven and is probably more cosmetic than anything. I personally dampen a few bricks, then pack some in, making sure it's wet enough to actually go in and bond to the brick. If the mortar is too dry and/or you don't dampen the bricks, it's probably not worth your time. That's just my way of doing it. Hope your oven build is going good for you.
              My Build:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Thanks for the advice, NCMan. The build is going well. I'm at the point of laying course six, wondering how the bricks stay up after the angle is going to get steeper... I've seen the wood supports people use to help hold the bricks up, hopefully that will do the job.
                I'm trying to visualize the vent right now and how to install it. Time to review and look at previous posts from successful builders. Hope your build is going well too.
                Checker

Comment

Gudday
                  Funny this should come up. When I constructed my dome my understanding that brick to brick contact on the front face of the brickwork was what you wanted to achieve. The mortar on the sides and back just keep the brick in correct orientation . I built to a ply guide with brick bulster and grinder. Have quite a few V gapes. It functions alright and I've often thought to crawl inside and repoint the gapes but to date really it's not been that important.
                  Sorry I'm holidaying so I have no pics
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

G'day

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,012.9 KB
ID:	305255

Found a pic not pretty but quite functional even 4 years down the track

Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave. I read your build link, great looking oven! Thanks for the picture. I should be ok then.
                      Checker

Comment

Working...
                      X