Chimney pipe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney pipe ?

I am getting close to starting on my chimney and decided to order the flue and adapter, I am building a 42"X40" barrel oven and plan on using 8" X 48" double wall metal chimney tube, does the tube have to be Stainless? cannot find anything under $250 in SS.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Chimney pipe ?

nope. stainless looks better but anything that won't rust is fine. On this forum I have seen both galvanized and powder coated chimneys used.
    Last edited by boerwarrior; 07-30-2014, 07:03 AM.

Comment

does it matter what the chimney is made of? After all. it only helps keep the smoke out of your eyes when you have the door open. It does not have any effect on the burning as it is outside of the oven?

Mine is a six inch piece of ss flue, second hand and about 5 foot long. Most of the smoke goes up it - but not all, depends on how the fire is going. I would think double wall pipe is overkill. same with cap on top.

Comment

I was told double wall is the way to go on this and it does make a difference.

Comment

You need double wall if the chimney is near any wooden rafters. My SS chimney is only exposed to the elements and is single wall

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
            nope. stainless looks better but anything that won't rust is fine. On this forum I have seen both galvanized and powder coated chimneys used.
            Stainless won't stay nice and shiny, it goes a pewter colour after around a couple of years. 304 stainless is the material generally used, but if you live on the beach you better use 316. 304 will rust in that environment.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I live is SO. CA and I don't need to worry about moisture since it hardly ever rains here and I do not live by the beach. What type of chimney tube should I get? Don't want to have to deal with replacing it anytime soon due to rust and I really do not want to spend $250+ on a SS pipe. Do I need double wall or single wall? I am building a barrel vault oven.

Comment

Originally posted by ceeyahd1 View Post
                I live is SO. CA and I don't need to worry about moisture since it hardly ever rains here and I do not live by the beach. What type of chimney tube should I get? Don't want to have to deal with replacing it anytime soon due to rust and I really do not want to spend $250+ on a SS pipe. Do I need double wall or single wall? I am building a barrel vault oven.
                $250 sounds a lot for one length of ss pipe, shop around. You could try a clay flue liner, but to avoid it cracking you should insulate it and build an outer skin with brick or ferro cement. The time and cost of which will probably be more than the ss. Or just go with brick chimney, no flue liner.
                Last edited by david s; 07-30-2014, 12:07 PM.

Comment

OK. Do I need single wall or double wall tube?

Comment

Originally posted by ceeyahd1 View Post
                    OK. Do I need single wall or double wall tube?
                    Single, unless you are going through a roof and the pipe is near anything combustible.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                      Single, unless you are going through a roof and the pipe is near anything combustible.
                      I can't find a double wall pipe for my indoor oven in the available market. All I have here is two kinds of single wall flues; galvanized flu, and iron flu painted with a heat resistant substance. I was told that the second is better than the first, but I'm not sure of that. I will be compensating the absence of an outer wall by insulating the whole flu liner with blanket insulation. This will help keeping the kitchen cool when I run the oven. An outer decorative shell will be later adapted.

You can see both flue types used in this prototype. Which of the two flu types you see is better?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aggressive flu.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	305494
                      Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
                      I forgot who said that.

Comment

Originally posted by v12spirit View Post
                        You can see both flue types used in this prototype. Which of the two flu types you see is better?

[ATTACH]44030[/ATTACH]
                        I can't tell from the photo, but if one of them has a thicker wall then use the thicker one. It will take longer to corrode.I bought a new pot belly stove years ago and it was cheaper than a stainless flue pipe that was needed for it, so I opted fora galvanised flue pipe that was way cheaper, but it lasted less than 12 months, rusted right through down near its base. I replaced it with some steel boiler pipe which was around 2mm thick from memory, around 6 x thicker than the one that rusted away. It held up well, for two years at least, when I sold the property.

Comment

Working...
                        X