The Incredible Arch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Incredible Arch

I thought I'd do a post on Arches and some photos I've taken in different places.....hopefully inspirational. It is the basic structure of a dome too, but that can be a different post!

There is a nice discussion of examples on Wickipedia... Arch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Spain has some lovely ones from it's Moorish/Jewish/Christian background, not to mention those Romans. It's interesting to note that some civillizations never found it, like the Mayan builders of Tulum in Mexico versus the Romans who really brought it into an impressive above ground practice.

It is an extremely strong structure...but I'm a geologist, not an engineer so I'll leave that to the JE Patrick.

James mentioned that they are very common throughout europe and they support some amazing structures like Roman Aqueducts, bridges and cathedrals.....here are a few pics.

The first one is from a Knights Templar castle being rebuilt...not old and new sides......second is of bricks....third note the double arch.....and fourth would make a nice oven entry design!
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: The Incredible Arch

Church, monastary, cathedral, stair passageway and a through street...

Comment

I think I need to move to Europe now.

Comment

This is an interesting study.....Arch and Lintel entrance to an old roman storeroom.

Can't say if the stone lintel was original or refurbished some time in the last 2000 years....but to me clearly shows that the arch is the stronger structure.

I thought the clay storage jars were neat too....what was left of them in the ground.
        Last edited by Xabia Jim; 04-08-2007, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Incredible domes too! Looks like some of our ovens but these are stonework.

first two a church, then the dome at Santiago...with the eye!

Comment

Working...
          X