Using London Bricks for the dome??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using London Bricks for the dome??

First of all I must say thanks to this wonderful resource! Hopefully once I've completed my build I can hang around and provide some insights that I have learnt!

So I'm building a 36" Pompeii and I'm on a bit of a budget when it comes to the dome, so as firebricks are quite expensive in the UK I've decided to look at other options. I went down to B&Q and bought a bunch of London Bricks (see attached pictures).

Now after all the research I've done on here it seems these should hold up fine I just might see some performance related issues, no bother. However one thing that is bugging me is the roughness (dimples) of the ends that will be facing inwards once I cut them.

- Has anyone had any experience using London Bricks for a build?
    - Is there anything overly wrong with using them?
    - Is the rough surface an issue, should I maybe use a different face of the brick?

Thanks!

Re: Using London Bricks for the dome??

i i was kinda hoping when i scrolled down i would find a load of replies because in in the same position as you,....huge pile of reclaimed cleaned up london bricks but hesitant to start until i can decide on the pros and cons. have found a fairly cheap place in newark though who seems to offer fairly cheap fire bricks.

Comment

Re: Using London Bricks for the dome??

Yeah it would have been nice to have some feedback, but alas I'll have to venture alone! I've sacked off the B&Q bricks as I've also found some older reclaimed red bricks. I imagine the clay content is better in those, but I have no idea for sure. I will be using them for the dome and I've purchased firebricks for the oven floor. (It seems from the same place in Newark you've found). Hopefully should have it done by the end of next week, good luck with your build!

Comment

Working...
      X