Building an Unconventional Base Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an Unconventional Base Need Help

Ok I am putting a 48" oven on my patio, but my wife does not like the traditional Block construction Base designs. I want to build my Hearth on 4- 7"x7" Granite Posts. Suspend the Hearth (6" Concrete slab) on these posts that are sunk 3 feet in the ground and cemented in. My concern is the span of the hearth 6feet x 6feet and what I need for reinforcement steel within the slab. Can this be done and be able to hold up my oven (>1500lbs). I have looked everywhere online and can not find anyone who has done this. Getting a little worried that this can not be done. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Building an Unconventional Base Need Help

I too am wanting to build an oven on a post. I have not found much by way of what can be done.
    My design would be a 12 inch diameter post in the center of a 5 foot diameter pad.
    I don't think you will have any problem with 4 post for support but keep in mind that heat will weaken concrete if it gets to high and that is my worry.
    I have not yet given up on the idea.

Comment

I hate to put in my opinion on these kinds of questions, only because any failure would be catastrophic. Load wise, you "should" be okay with four posts, however, you never know with concrete. There are so many variables and unknowns. Depends on how you mix it, how it is cured, the reinforcments, etc.

Safe bet would be what briar patch suggested: put a fifth post in the middle. This way, you are assured that the load is being carried through to the posts with concrete that is in compression, rather than suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by npolce View Post
        Ok I am putting a 48" oven on my patio, but my wife does not like the traditional Block construction Base designs. I want to build my Hearth on 4- 7"x7" Granite Posts. Suspend the Hearth (6" Concrete slab) on these posts that are sunk 3 feet in the ground and cemented in. My concern is the span of the hearth 6feet x 6feet and what I need for reinforcement steel within the slab. Can this be done and be able to hold up my oven (>1500lbs). I have looked everywhere online and can not find anyone who has done this. Getting a little worried that this can not be done. Does anyone have any suggestions?
        As most of the the weight is inboard of the perimeter, you can make the thing much stronger if you cantilever the slab over the supporting pillars. This will reduce the span and place the supports under the main mass of the oven. It also looks way better. I always make my ovens this way although it is easier for me because I precast the supporting slab and place it in position over the concrete piers. Creating formwork around your piers to cast a slab will be more difficult but will look better and be way stronger.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Ok if I have this right this is what you need to actually look at if you haven't already.

Flying Saucer Build by Neil2

Check it out will give you all the information you might need.
          Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-22-2014, 04:47 AM.
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Working...
          X