Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small scale oven build

Hello,

Newbie wanting to build a small wood fired oven; would appreciate any input from more experienced oven builders.

My idea is an oven with I.D. around 22", dome construction built on a 4" high first course w/total dome height 15" and door opening at recommended proportion.

My questions regard the oven construction; want oven to be as small/light as possible; to heat up as quickly as possible and stay hot enough to cook 4-6 small pizzas.

I also want to burn charcoal (natural hardwood) if possible as it is easier to obtain.

Am thinking of using split brick 1 1/4" thick laid flat then the insulating blanket and stucco finish for a 3-4" total wall thickness.

What should the base be built out of to reduce overall weight (want to keep oven and base in the 300-400lb area) and achieve enough insulating quality?

Also is firebrick easily cut by hand (hammer/brick set or diamond saw to score)?

Thank you for any information.

Re: Small scale oven build

Welcome RDC

Your questions aren't the usual ones we see here, but I'll take a stab at them.

If you build an oven as 'light' and thin as you describe, you will need a good tile (wet) saw. You can buy one of those at Harbor Freight or on craigslist. (I bought one on craigslist and sold it after for about the same price as it cost me.)

For your oven floor, you may find some firebrick that is half the thickness of the regular brick. I've seen some, had some, but don't know where you could get some. A google search for refractories in your area might reveal a source for you.

About three years ago, a member here named 'brickie in oz' emailed me pictures of a tiny pompeii style oven he had built. If you contact him, he would be glad to share those pictures with you I feel sure. Those pictures may help you as you conceptualize your oven build.

BTW, if you want oven temperatures in the 750-800F range, you'll need to use firewood. Charcoal does not get hot enough, fast enough to heat to those temperatures.

HTH
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
    X