• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing dough with KA stand mixer

I started using the FB dough recipe and have been mixing it with my KA
    Question
    The instructions say, mix it for two min, let it set for 10 min
    Then mix it on med speed for 5 min and slow for two min.
    Is this with a dough hook or Paddle?
    Peter Reinhart says in his video, if you use a paddle, you mix it half the time as you would a dough hook
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ld-mexico.html

Re: Mixing dough with KA stand mixer

Originally posted by Mexman View Post
    I started using the FB dough recipe and have been mixing it with my KA
    Question
    The instructions say, mix it for two min, let it set for 10 min
    Then mix it on med speed for 5 min and slow for two min.
    Is this with a dough hook or Paddle?
    Peter Reinhart says in his video, if you use a paddle, you mix it half the time as you would a dough hook
    The hook is much easier on a home KA. The paddle will put a great deal of stress on the gear head.
    Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
      The hook is much easier on a home KA. The paddle will put a great deal of stress on the gear head.
      This is good advice.

When using the KA, we use the paddle for the first minute of the mix, remove it while the dough is absorbing the water, and replace it with the dough hook. I have broken gears to prove that when you make a batch of bread dough there is a lot of stress on those gears.

I've gone to mixing by hand. Less time. Less effort. Less noise. Less cleanup. Besides, I like to feel the dough.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by hook: the standard KA C-shape hook or a spiral hook. I picked up the spiral a long time ago and it is great for this. Supposedly not for older KA units as they can over heat with it, but my KA is old (30 yrs) and I've never had an issue. That said, I don't mix massive batches of dough either .

Comment

Originally posted by Pdiff View Post
          Not sure what you mean by hook: the standard KA C-shape hook or a spiral hook. I picked up the spiral a long time ago and it is great for this. Supposedly not for older KA units as they can over heat with it, but my KA is old (30 yrs) and I've never had an issue. That said, I don't mix massive batches of dough either .
          C or Spiral is a hook.
          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
            This is good advice.

I've gone to mixing by hand. Less time. Less effort. Less noise. Less cleanup. Besides, I like to feel the dough.
            A few weeks ago I made up a couple of large batches of dough (30 x 10oz doughs in total) and found it easier to mix by hand. I bought a large stainless steel bowl for mixing by hand and it works great.

now if I had one of those nice 20 or 30qt mixers I may have a different opinion but my KA mixer is 5.5QT so I have to make much smaller batches in it

Comment

I have both a KA stand mixer and Quisinart food processor, the majority of the dough I make, I use the food processor. It's way quicker and does a great job. My last party I made 12 dough batches "24 pies" in under an hour.
              Chris

Link to my photo album:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

I have a Ninja Mega Kitchen System BL770 food processor. It's an irreplaceable device in my kitchen. As a heavy duty user, who makes dough and butter I was very pleased with this blender because it can mix dough in seconds.

Comment

You don't want to be mixing the dough in seconds. That is a terrible idea. A big part of the mix till it comes together then rest then mix again is to help build gluten. The dough will not turn out correctly if you don't follow the established protocol.

Comment

Working...
                  X