Is metal lathe required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is metal lathe required?

I was curious whether it's good to cover the insulated done with metal lathe when it's going to be enclosed in a walled off gable roof design. It would seem that it holds the insulation in place quite well and has a better ability to have the seams in the insulation held in place better. I've also seen others who don't use lathe, but instead it appears they use some type of material to stitch into the fire blanket.
    Thanks

Re: Is metal lathe required?

A lot of builders have used hexnet (chicken wire). It's cheap, easy to stretch out and shape, and does the job. Mine took about an hour for the dome. Lath is overkill, IMO, especially if the remaining void in the enclosure is filled with additional insulation.

Comment

In an enclosure, it's an unnecessary step.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

I've used both (chicken wire on a Forno Bravo kit and lathe on my brick dome home build) and think both did the job pretty well. If you're going to stucco over the oven/insulation then-in my opinion-the lathe makes for a better substrate (and is pretty cheap per sheet at Lowes or Home Depot). The one caveat with lathe is that there seem to be a lot of sharp edges trying to draw blood every minute you're working with it

I agree with Gianni and Stonecutter, lathe is overkill for keeping the insulation blankets in place in an enclosure.
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I read "metal lathe" and I thought - what crazy new innovation has someone come up with that requires metal working tools?

As for use of metal LATH - I agree it's unnecessary when building a housing. I held my insulation on with rebar tie wire. Worked great.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            I read "metal lathe" and I thought - what crazy new innovation has someone come up with that requires metal working tools?

As for use of metal LATH - I agree it's unnecessary when building a housing. I held my insulation on with rebar tie wire. Worked great.
            Good catch on the lath / lathe Deejayoh! Funny how just one little "e" could make several thousand dollars difference and give the more detail oriented folks either a shock or good chuckle. Thank you for the correction and the smile
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
              Good catch on the lath / lathe Deejayoh! Funny how just one little "e" could make several thousand dollars difference and give the more detail oriented folks either a shock or good chuckle. Thank you for the correction and the smile
              To tell the truth, I was actually a bit disappointed.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
              X