No announcement yet.

Builders sand, leveling sand, or other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builders sand, leveling sand, or other?

I've seen different material used when placing the cooking floor onto the insulation. I have a FB oven kit, with precut 2 inch floor panels. The instructions were not provided with the kit but the manuals online suggest using "fine sand". Is there a preferred type of sand? Is there a difference between leveling sand and building sand? I've read where some people use a mixture of sand, fireclay, and water, to make a mortar minus any cement. Suggestions, thoughts?
    Thanks.
    Dan

Re: Builders sand, leveling sand, or other?

Builders sand will usually not be that fine. Will have some bigger pieces/pebbles in it. Get play sand (from HD) or fine sand (from a masonry vendor) and mix it with fireclay. That's what most of us who built with bricks do. It's not really a mortar - just a mix to get all the floor tiles level. Kind of like using sand to level pavers on a patio.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Deejayoh, is there a certain ratio to use? How much sand, fire clay, and water? I'm wondering if this can also kill two birds with one stone. One my other posts shows the height difference between a couple of the forno bravo precut insulation boards. It's close to 1/2 inch in difference. Even though the sand mixture calls for an application 3/8" thick to be troweled on, this would mean that if I used the sand to bring the height up that there would be a full 1 inch of sand/fire clay used. I'm weary of doing this unless other experienced oven builders chime in with their input. One thought is to use some of the sand / fireclay mix on the hearth slab under the thinner insulation tile, to bring it to level with every other floor tile, then proceed the 3/8" layer of mix to set the floor on. My concern stems from the fact that the height difference is 1/2".
      Thanks for your input.

Comment

If it were my oven, I'd do as you are thinking and build up under the thinner piece of insulation to even them out. You can use any non-flammable material. A layer of mortar might be best. Something solid. I wouldn't want to use that much sand/fireclay on the top. Seems like an invitation for trouble. The mix of the sand/fireclay is 50/50, with just enough water to wet it. You want it crumbly so you can spread it out. Use a wide-toothed mortar trowel to spread it.

FWIW, there's the argument for putting all your questions in one build thread instead of starting a thread for each question. Makes it easier for people to follow along. Once someone chimes in, the are generally subscribed and will see the follow on Q's
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Good word on the multiple topic/tangents. I'll separate them.

Comment

Working...
          X