Beautiful craftmanship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beautiful craftmanship

The clay is typical ceramic clay like you would use for a bowl or pot. Cheap and easy to work with.

It is probably not accurate to suggest that the hydraulic is better than the air set, it is more a matter of which is more appropriate.

If you really want to know what they were using, just send Alex an email and ask.
    The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Originally posted by dakzaag View Post
      If you really want to know what they were using, just send Alex an email and ask.
      That would be the easiest

I was just asking out of curiosty really, it's not important exactly what type of clay I guess, just knowing that's how they build for easy dismantling was enough.

Further to my looking at the use of insulating fire bricks as it appeared they used, I found lots of values for similar materials, and it generally seems that the insulating boards are better. I did contact a supplier for data sheets for his particular items and here's the relevant data (to me anyway). It's all in metric I'm afraid

2300F (1300C)* grade insulation brick
      Cold crush strength 2MPa, or 2N (per mm squared).
      Thermal conducticity 0.23 W/mK at 350C (Lower is better)
      Density 800 Kg/m^3

Calcium Silicate board (1000C grade)
      Strength 2.6MPa, or 2.6N
      Thermal conductivity 0.08 W/mK (at 200C)
      0.1 (at 400C)
      0.12 (at 600C)
      Density 225 Kg/m^3

So whilst (for me at least) the board is slightly more expensive, it would appear to be well worth the extra on thermal conductivity alone. Being lighter and stronger is a nice bonus. If your supplier charges more for the bricks, then they're really not good value compared to the boards.

This has all gone a bit off topic...

* 2300F is 1260C, but sheet showed data of 1300C

Comment

The airset/water soluble is really only suitable for minimal joints, <1/4", while the powdered one is normally fine up to and beyond half inch.

2x4x8 insulating firebrick around here are $7.00 each for a SqFt cost of $31.50, 2" ceramic board is $17.78 per SqFt.

Edit- Perlcrete works out to less than $2.00 per SqFt for a 4" layer, FYI.
        Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-28-2015, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
          The airset/water soluble is really only suitable for minimal joints, <1/4", while the powdered on is normally fine up to and beyond half inch.

2x4x8 insulating firebrick around here are $7.00 each for a SqFt cost of $31.50, 2" ceramic board is $17.78 per SqFt.
          The bricks differ in value depending on size. A 3" (76mm) thick brick cost less than a 2" one, and by volume offer the best value by far. I believe this is because it's the standard size to use, and is produced in far greater numbers.

So a 230x114x76 brick is ?1.49 + VAT -> ?1.79 (about $2.77 at the moment)
          (9 x 4.5 x 3 in inches)

CalSil, 1220x500x75 is ?44.99 + VAT -> ?53.99 (about $83.68)

If my math(s) is correct,

Bricks are $9.81 per square ft, 76mm thick

CalSil is $12.74 per square ft, 75mm thick.

My supplier doesn't list ceramic fibre board, but I believe it's quite a step up in price here.

Comment

I think either brick or board is acceptable. The board is easy peasy to install and away you go. The brick would need to be set and probably leveled a bit. All of the insulating brick i have seen are fairly irregular, but I have not seen very many.

It really comes down to availability I guess. I have a hard time sourcing the board. (at least at a reasonable price.) That is why I started digging around looking at the insulating brick.

Mixing perilite/vermiculite/zonalite etc with a bit of Portland is by far the cheapest.
            The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Working...
            X