Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Started

Hi

Just poured the foundations today 15/04/07 Target; to make pizzas for guests at my wife's birthday party on 11th May. Would someone please tell me if this is possibile or am I deluding myself?

Cheers
    Colin

Re: Just Started

You have to be complete except for top finish one week before full heat, at least. Are you using a block stand? Can you get masonry lintels instead of pouring and setting your support slab? A dry stacked stand and pre-made floor will speed things up. How much time do you have to devote to the project?
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am using a Block Stand but using an existing wall as one side so only two walls to build. I did intend to pour the support slab but thanks for the lintel idea I'll check out the prices today. Time wise I can devote 3-4 Hours per Day so here's hoping

Comment

In Italy James once used terra cotta lintels under an oven:

These aren't available in the US but might be in Ireland. They are ideal for your purpose, hollow, cheap, light. You can also use cast concrete lintels but they are really heavy and more expensive.

This is the story of that oven which was built really quickly. Of course he used a cast refractory oven shell, which also speeds things up a lot.

The main thing that take up time is concrete drying. If you can use refractory insulation board under your oven, and insulating blanket above it it's going to speed up the process. These are all the more expensive options, but you're trading time for money.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Well then,
          Day Two and the support walls are built. I'll try and post a photo tomorrow. Couldn't take one tonight as it was dark when I finished. Checked out the Concrete lintels but am going to pour 'cause I think the lintels would end up with a very thick slab, 5inch Lintel plus 3 inch or so insulation layer plus 3inch fire brick oven floor. Also I want the support slab to overhang the support walls all round so I think pouring a reinforced slab will be better. So day three will be shuttering.
          More latter.

Comment

Keep going Cobra,
            I am guessing your concrete lintels were solid with rebar, not hollow terracotta beams. I like the overhang look.
            Let us know if we can help; other than coming over and laying a few bricks.
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Sorry I missed yesterday, I was kinda busy.Unfortunately I'm working away fromk home at the moment so after a 2 hour drive home and then something to eat it's pretty late when I get out to the "oven". So Day 3 was as planned, Shuttering, but instead of rushingi nto pouring the slab today "Day 4"
              I came up with a plan to hopefully simplify the slab finish. As I understand the plans my slab will have a 2.5 inches reinforced structural layer and a 3 inch insulation layer ontop of which a 3 inch layer of fire brick for the oven floor so the edges of the slab will look a bit messy. Anyhow I didn't have much time tonight so I spent the time making a circular former which I will place on top of the wet structural layer so I can continue pouring the structural concrete up level with the oven floor and the slab edges will uniform and not look layered and need further cosmetic work. Well in might be the weekend now before I get to post some photos. Actually I've just realised I don't know how to post photos, can anyone help?

Comment

Cobra - I believe you meant the reinforced structural layer to be 3.5 inches (as stated in the plans) To upload photos, it's pretty straight forward.

Select "post photos" at the top of the page and make the appropriate selections. If you want to post a thumbnail, it's a little more involved. You will need to scale your pictures down to the allowable size.
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                X