Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza oven too close to trees? Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza oven too close to trees? Thoughts?

Hello,

Is there any risk of having my oven fairly close to trees? My backyard is small and is surrounded by pine trees. Is there anything for me to be concerned about? I plan on having multiple spark arresters in the chimney. Thanks.

Re: Pizza oven too close to trees? Thoughts?

Mine is within 20' of tree cover, I would guess that 10-15' is safe.

Comment

Ditto. I have doug fir trees maybe 15 feet from my oven. Spark-arrestor on top of the flue. Reality is these oven burn so hot that there isn't even any smoke coming out once they're up to temp, much less risk of a spark.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Unless your oven is directly under a tree I don't think you're going to have issues. I'd be more concerned grass may catch alight rather than a tree from a spark.
        Some articles I've been working on: How to build a pizza oven

Comment

The oly time it was an issue here was in a big drought and we had a total fire ban .. the lawn was brown and like walking on potato chips ..I had a spark arrester and sprayed the surrounding lawn with water and had the hose handy ..the fire ban did not include enclosed fires .

Comment

I suggest you look for the South Australia Country Fire Service Code of Practice.
            It says if you have pompeii oven with a 1.2m chimney with a spark arrestor screen, and clear ground for 4m (13 feet?) all around we can light a fire on all but total fire ban days.
            California seems very similar to South Oz in terms of fire risk, if the news is anything to go by. You must have fire service recommendations to follow, surely. Don't let the urge to cook a pizza result in death and destruction for other people.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post

Ditto. I have doug fir trees maybe 15 feet from my oven. Spark-arrestor on top of the flue. Reality is these oven burn so hot that there isn't even any smoke coming out once they're up to temp, much less risk of a spark.
              I'm in the same boat. Surrounded by very tall pines - too tall to cut and too close to the house. The limbs are not close but 90% of the way through digging the foundation, I found a massive root. Seems like if I leave it alone, it should be fine, but if I cut it I bet it grows back through the concrete....Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
              X