X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super morter

Hey guys

I need some help please still doing research
    went to the refractory in cape town and they gave me a couple of firebricks and some super morter as samples to play around with

Dam this fire bricks is expensive but not my real worry as for the super morter its a dry powder that u mix up with water and it forms a clay like substance not very user friendly managed to stick to bricks together but the next day i could tear it apart wich to me was very funny as in my book once u mortar something it should stick together
    So a managed to get a 25 kg broken bag from them
    My real question here is could i mix this stuff with portlands cement and the use it as my own homebrew As it looks like it has all the gud stuff in it just not the cement aspect

Any input would b appreciated especially the Guys in South Africa that used this super mortar

Thanks

Re: Super morter

having some similar problems with a lime Portland and building sand mix where I'm getting cracking in two specific points on the arch for the opening. Did you manage to overcome the problem ?

Wayne

Comment

i am not sure of your particular product, but most refractory mortar reaches full strength with heat. The product i used in the US reached full strength around 1000 deg. F. You will want to read here on the forum the discussions regarding dipping the bricks in water when laying them. The bag that you have should give you the specifics and if not, the refrac store will know for sure.

Texman
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Most mortar you can knock the bricks apart pretty easily the next day. It doesn't reach full strength for a while.

And remember - in a dome, the job of the mortar is not so much to hold the bricks together as it is to hold them apart.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
        X