Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprinklers Hitting Oven

One additional newbie question...

I assume after curing my oven that regular sprinkler water hitting the outside of the oven is not going to adversely affect the oven much like rain won't impact it unless it is getting inside of the oven?

Or should I cover at all times to keep sprinkler/rain water off the oven?

In a dry climate that requires regular watering of my lawn this information has a direct impact on where I can place my oven.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Sprinklers Hitting Oven

You need to waterproof the outside of the oven. Design wise it can be an igloo or a house - but the firebrick and insulation can't be exposed to the environment.

Assuming you do a good job of that, you can hit with sprinklers as much as you want.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Assuming you do a good job of that, you can hit with sprinklers as much as you want
      Water's ok. Any frustration you take out with a sprinkler, nozzle, (ie: any metal garden tool) I wouldn't hit my oven with it. It will eventually chip the stucco.

Comment

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned that I'm most likely going to buy a P70. So from what I gather as long as I keep water from going inside the oven that sprinklers/rain won't hurt it but I can still cover it as an extra precaution. Otherwise, with an assembled oven from FB I assume waterproofing is taken care of.

Comment

I would be careful of that assumption. It is almost impossible to waterproof the shape of an oven without building a house around it.

Comment

Hmm... will do Tscarborough. I guess I'll just cover at all times unless in use to play it safe. Much appreciated.

Comment

Forno Bravo says this oven is ready to go and show photos of the oven "installed". I would think that other than not allowing the sprinklers to directly strike the opening there should be little problem. These are designed to set out on a patio. Forno Bravo designs pretty good stuff. I do not think a tarp or other such product would be necessary unless a major storm event was in the offing.

Here's a link to their product:

Primavera Beehive Oven | Wood Fired Beehive Oven

Hope this helps,
              Wiley

Comment

That is all true, however, the fact remains that it is almost impossible to waterproof stucco on a round shape, and it does not take much water at all to make for a frustrating cooking experience. On the photo below, the arrows mark points at which the stucco will crack and allow moisture to enter the oven. Note that I didn't say might or could, I said it will separate there. Dissimilar material joints are problematic in all stucco applications.

This is not a knock on Forno or stucco, it is simply the physical reality of the material. There are construction details to mitigate it in cavity wall construction, but that is not what we are dealing with here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                  That is all true, however, the fact remains that it is almost impossible to waterproof stucco on a round shape, and it does not take much water at all to make for a frustrating cooking experience. On the photo below, the arrows mark points at which the stucco will crack and allow moisture to enter the oven. Note that I didn't say might or could, I said it will separate there. Dissimilar material joints are problematic in all stucco applications.

This is not a knock on Forno or stucco, it is simply the physical reality of the material. There are construction details to mitigate it in cavity wall construction, but that is not what we are dealing with here.
                  Tom,
                  I would agree with you on this in that it is a design issue.
                  I've developed a system that deals with the cracking and sealing issue around the flue (see pic) and also has the added benefit of acting as a vent to allow the insulation layer to breath. The two terra cotta caps I make maybe outside the fabrication skills of the average home builder, but any local potter could make them on specification.
                  The problem area where the dome meets the supporting slab is dealt with pretty well by the use of a high build, elastic, acrylic product, applied over the rendered shell, but yes, even using this a crack sometimes appears after a couple of years use and more needs to be reapplied there.
                  The dog kennel style oven is another solution to these two problems rather than building an igloo.

The problem with a cover is that it also holds moisture in. We find that it is better to remove the oven door after heavy rain to allow the inside of the oven to dry, otherwise you open it up a week or two later and the inside has lots of mildew. A long slow fire fixes it though.
                  Last edited by david s; 12-31-2014, 04:23 PM.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

That is a good design, very good taking care of venting as well as flashing. The lower joint can simply be caulked, but to be done correctly requires a 3/8" x3/8" minimum groove with something to prevent 3-sided bonding of the polyurethane caulking material (tape or backer rod).

The simplest solution for the OP is 2 part: Don't hit it with the sprinkler and make a cover that covers the entire oven past the slab.

Comment

G'day
                      Davids,Could that chimney vent be constructed from metal? Considering the metal working skills are a lot more common that pottery skills.
                      Myself I recon yours would win hands down in the appearance stakes
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                        G'day
                        Davids,Could that chimney vent be constructed from metal? Considering the metal working skills are a lot more common that pottery skills.
                        Myself I recon yours would win hands down in the appearance stakes
                        Regards dave
                        I made the top seal from stainless in my mobile oven as its flue is removable. For me making it in clay is far easier, but then it needs to be fired of course.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. Duly noted.

Comment

Working...
                          X