Oven floor, brick or soapstone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven floor, brick or soapstone?

Can I ask the experts another question; not sure if I should start a new post or continue here. Insblock is cut, too hot to do any more today. Looking at the FB plans, they show that the first row of soldiers sits directly on the FB board or Insboard in the diagrams. However, in the pictures it is sitting on the brick floor. It seems heat retention is better cutting the floor to fit the dome interior, so this was the plan.. The question is ; How do I attach the first row to the insblock? Will the mortar work and hold? I read somewhere that the insblock should not get wet, so an reluctant to put wet mortar onto it. Equally, if it is NOT absorbant, then how will the mortar stick? As ever, all and any advice appreciated!

Comment

Oven domes are not mortared to the insulation. They simply rely on their weight to remain stationary and stable. The one benefit of placing the floor inside the dome walls is if you ever have to replace a floor brick. FWIW - Many builders are skipping soldiers and building horizontal courses vertically before employing their IT's.

Comment

So, what depth of entryway would you suggest?
        Build your entryway so that it fits the flue and draws efficiently. An extra 5-6" of entryway depth is easily accommodated (and soon forgotten) using peels with handles, the same way 47" (and larger) oven workers do it. When it gets windy at your house you'll be glad you have the deeper entryway.

Comment

1812, I've contemplated whether to build the dome on the floor or cut the floor to fit inside the dome with the dome resting on the insulation board. The pros about it being inside as far as I have read is that if a brick were to need replacing it could easily be done. The question I have about that is, "How often has anyone ever had to replace a floor brick?" The downside to doing it inside is that you have a lot more precise cutting to do whereas if you build the dome on top of the floor, the edges of the floor brick that protrude past the dome walls don't have to be all that pretty, in fact, I have seen pics of some that were left as is and not trimmed or cut to a radius. Good luck with your build! do you plan to make a build in progress post in the oven construction forum?

GF, you raise a great point about the wind and vent depth... tis windy at times where I live ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by sharptailhunter View Post
            1812, I've contemplated whether to build the dome on the floor or cut the floor to fit inside the dome with the dome resting on the insulation board. The pros about it being inside as far as I have read is that if a brick were to need replacing it could easily be done. The question I have about that is, "How often has anyone ever had to replace a floor brick?"
            Haven't had to yet
            The downside to doing it inside is that you have a lot more precise cutting to do whereas if you build the dome on top of the floor, the edges of the floor brick that protrude past the dome walls don't have to be all that pretty
            It is pretty easy to cut the radius - once you start the process you will discover how simple cutting the firebrick is. I am not saying which is better - your call. It's obviously a faster build to have the dome sit on the floor.
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I agree with Les, it is not difficult to cut the bricks to fit inside the dome and the edge where the dome and floor meet is never used and the gap will soon fill with ash.

In my opinion it just makes the whole thing more flexible and the dome more stable. Others will have done it the other way and be happy with that. Both work and it is a moot point which is better.
              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
              X