Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canopy & First Fire

Two unrelated questions...

I assume putting up a canopy (Amazon.com : Caravan Canopy 10 X 10-Feet Display Shade Kit - Commercial Canopy, White : Outdoor Canopies : Patio, Lawn & Garden) over the oven to avoid the rain while curing/cooking would be a mess in terms of smoke and a danger in terms of sparks? Even if it was "fire resistant" like that Amazon link shows?

Had the thought today but I can only see disaster and curious if anyone else has tried something similar.

How soon after finishing curing, assuming no cracks, can I fire up my P70 and make my first pies? i.e. If I cured this week, Mon-Fri, could I let 'er rip on Sat night?

Re: Canopy & First Fire

I think you'll be out $229 for a messed up canopy. There's likely minimal danger from sparks - but there is a lot of smoke from curing fires. You don't get a clean exhaust until the fire is going pretty well. And then it will be too hot to be close to the canopy.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

When it rained during my oven's construction, I put a similar canopy over my build. I moved it off to the side when I started the curing fires but even being 10 feet away from the stack, I got several burn holes in the canvas...it may have been fire retardant material, but sparks still did plenty of damage to it.

As Deejayoh indicated, the smoke will permeate the fabric and create an unpleasant mini-cloud during first fires..and I would guarantee that you'd quickly have a pretty large hole burned in the canopy way before you got any curing accomplished ...however, on the bright side, that would let the smoke out

Your first instincts about using the canopy during oven curing were right on the mark as far as I'm concerned. I'd never have any kind of canopy covering the oven chimney vent when I've got fire in the chamber...it's just an "burn accident" waiting to happen.
      Last edited by SableSprings; 03-15-2015, 09:24 PM.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Figured as much. Thanks gents. I'll avoid the canopy.

Any thoughts on whether I can do a full fire on Day 6, one day after completing curing fires as instructed by FB?

Comment

Everyone's experience will be different on this. I have had canvas awnings near my WFO for a long time and never had issues with burned holes.

Here are some old photos which show my WFO. The first ones were taken in 2008 in early winter/late fall. The WFO is wrapped in a blue tarp with chimney removed for non use periods during that time. If you look closely the chimney exits at the high lump in the tarp. I had a lash up of a piece of gutter (seen on the table) which diverted rain from the awning off the area directly in front of the WFO. The awning is one sold for two cars and which we still use for shade/cover for the outside seating. Never had a burn thru from sparks or whatever. The canvas itself died of sun exposure and has been replaced.

The last two photos shows somewhat current situation. I'm in the process of creating a brick patio but the small foldable awning will still be used as it is shown here. The larger awning will be/is used over the dining tables.

Hope this helps,
          Wiley

Comment

I used a cheapie (?60) 2m x 2m gazebo from eBay as a temporary cover whilst working on my dome; internally secured to the oven base with bungee cords so it doesn't move much even in the storms. I do however have a demountable flue which helps.
            Last edited by oblertone; 03-16-2015, 11:14 AM.
            Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Thanks! Opted for no canopy but helpful nonetheless!

Comment

As far as cooking a day after the last curing fire, just bring it up slow like a curing fire and don't build Dante's Inferno in the oven for the first few cooking events. After a few weeks and a few decent pizza events, then you can ignite the fires of Haides... just to see what happens.
                The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Thanks! FB actually said I could go full fire but I chose to be cautious nonetheless. Fired it up on Day 6. Worked great but didn't go quite as hot as I probably should have.

Comment

Working...
                  X