preliminary questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preliminary questions

Hi everyone, my name is Nick and I'm from Buffalo NY and planning on building myself one of these ovens. I was hoping maybe some of you could help me out with some very basic information before I lose myself in all this information...

Just to start:

1. About how much will it cost to build the oven from scratch? (ie using the websites free plans and not using the modular or assembled parts)

2. About how long should I allocate to build?

3. Are the free online plans complete, or are there issues with these plans?

Thank you so much! I'm really enjoying learning all about these pizza ovens, this website was a great find.

Nick

Re: preliminary questions

Hey again everyone, I spent a lot of time looking through the website and realized I should've been a little specific in my questions. After looking around online, I think we can ignore questions 2 and 3, I found most of that information last night.

But I am still wondering how much it may cost to build a pretty basic pompeii oven??

Thanks again,

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick you have some great questions there. But both are kinda loaded questions. As for price you can might be able come in as low as $1000, but the sky is the limit you can spend as much as you want. To hit $1000 you will need to do a lot of Looking for deals. I am going to guess that I will be between 2-3000. And if you read throughout the build threads there are some people that get it all done in a few months and some that take years. It all depends on how much time you can devote to the build, and what kind of skills you have. But no matter what you have for skills and budget you can make it happen. Good luck.

Randy

Comment

Randy has it right. it is about how much time you can devote to it. How good you are at sourcing materials at the right price and what your aspirations are regarding the finished product.

I sourced second hand bricks and had the stainless flue and chimney etc fabricated locally by a sympathetic old sheet metal bloke and it worked out very reasonably. If you want to recruit others to do components then you will pay for that.

Welcome to the forum and all the best with your build. Advice is here to be had (mostly by others more skilled than me).
        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

just to add this regarding the fb plans. Yes, they are free and will get you a good wfo. There are many tweaks and tips since they were published, but those plans should be your starting point and reference. The rest comes from the forum here. Look at the Lbouro treasure thread for several good examples to follow. Welcome to the journey!

Texman
          Texman Kitchen
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I am anxious to get started but am forcing myself to really understand what I'm getting into first. I think I will try and get as many second hand materials as possible and keep the outside looking "rustic" or unfinished, depending on how you look at it, in a effort to save costs.

Anyways thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by valente View Post
              Thank you all for your replies. I am anxious to get started but am forcing myself to really understand what I'm getting into first. I think I will try and get as many second hand materials as possible and keep the outside looking "rustic" or unfinished, depending on how you look at it, in a effort to save costs.

Anyways thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions

Nick
              Using ordinary clay bricks, the home brew mortar, a cinder block stand, and the vermicrete or perlcrete insulation, it is possible to bring an oven in under $500 at Aussie materials prices.
              There are ways to economise - for example, the plans tend to emphasise rectangular openings, which require a steel lintel, and given the drop in iron ore prices angle iron seems ridiculously expensive these days - you can save a buck by making an brick arch instead.
              Just bear in mind we are talking low-tech materials - it will make great pizza, roasts and bread, but it won't retain heat for days from a single burn, etc, and it will indeed look a little "rustic". For that price, the chimney will be a single length of 8 inch stove pipe, with a homemade rain cap. An old fashioned chrome hub cap makes a good one.
              In my part of OZ, the Greeks and Italians often don't bother with any sort of waterproofing. 12 inches of rain per year will do that for you.
              Last edited by wotavidone; 04-03-2015, 05:29 AM.

Comment

In my opinion, it is all about taking your time, thinking it through and being very systematic. There are well defined stages and milestones; completion of each stage will give you a level of personal satisfaction and motivation to move to the next stage. Once you get started and break ground, you will likely become obsessed.

Personally, I went a bit overboard. It cost me $2500 total; that includes everything including: permits, materials, concrete delivery, tools, etc. I would guess that one could do it for under $1000. It took me 9 months (weekends and evenings having zero experience. If I had to do it over again; would probably take me 3 months.

Comment

You can find inexpensive refractory materials if you look. I got a pallet of 300+ firebrick seconds for $50. Homebrew mortar (free sand) was maybe $20 for more than I could use. Where you do not want to skimp is insulation, around and under your oven.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                    You can find inexpensive refractory materials if you look. I got a pallet of 300+ firebrick seconds for $50. Homebrew mortar (free sand) was maybe $20 for more than I could use. Where you do not want to skimp is insulation, around and under your oven.
                    I would also like to add to John's comments above, you live in an area with lots of moisture coming from the sky. Build a roof or house over the oven and use the space for lots of insulation. I have over 4 inches under my floor and wish I had 2 more inches.
                    Chip

Comment

Chip so you are saying I should consider a gabled house design over the igloo design? Is the stucco on the igloo not very durable when out in the elements?

Also, I can't seem to find the recipie for the home brew motor (I can only find the information on the motor), can someone help me out here?

Thanks again as always,

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by valente View Post
                        Chip so you are saying I should consider a gabled house design over the igloo design? Is the stucco on the igloo not very durable when out in the elements?

Also, I can't seem to find the recipie for the home brew motor (I can only find the information on the motor), can someone help me out here?

Thanks again as always,

Nick
                        Gable house or complete enclosure, my oven is a 42 inch igloo inside the house, the igloo finished with stucco fares far better in drier climates, with a lot less snow in the winter. I can use my oven year round in Minnesota, we do not get as much snow as you because of your lake effect. The house provides additional opportunity for insulation and is less likely to allow water to enter ar the base of the oven, which is the main problem experienced by people with stucco igloos in wet or snow laden areas.

If you did not find it yet here is a photo of my oven.

The home brew recipe is by volume. 3:1:1:1. Fine sand:fireclay:Portland cement:hydrated lime

The Portland cement is not concrete mix it is just cement
                        The sand should be very fine to allow you to keep tight joints, wide joints (if you are doing minimal cutting of your bricks and are filling a wide outside gap) should be filled with a home brew mix with coarse sand.
                        You will have more Portland cement and hydrated lime than you can possibly use if you buy 80# bags but fortunately these are very inexpensive.
                        The fireclay can be found at any foundry supply. The other ingredients are standard building supply products.
                        Last edited by mrchipster; 04-08-2015, 02:07 PM. Reason: Added homebrew recipe and uploaded photo
                        Chip

Comment

I've just completed an igloo Pompeii (of sorts) and live in an area of the UK with higher than average rainfall. While my oven is water resistant I can't call it waterproof; therefore I've bought it an inexpensive (?10) cover that is waterproof and I'll use it when necessary. When I find a sailmaker with nothing to do I'll get a tailor made one, but for now a 5' round patio table cover looks about right.
                          Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Originally posted by oblertone View Post
                            I've just completed an igloo Pompeii (of sorts) and live in an area of the UK with higher than average rainfall. While my oven is water resistant I can't call it waterproof; therefore I've bought it an inexpensive (?10) cover that is waterproof and I'll use it when necessary. When I find a sailmaker with nothing to do I'll get a tailor made one, but for now a 5' round patio table cover looks about right.
                            That is a great job on the tile work. Nice looking oven. Do you cook anything other than pizza?
                            Chip

Comment

Great, thanks once again. BTW chip, you built an amazing looking oven and cooking area.

Comment

Working...
                              X