Base for oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base for oven

Having patio replaced and having contractor build a base for oven with wood storage and side worktables. Is there anything I need to tell them besides specs of new oven should I put footings or just a slab? Probably going with a kit 40" cooking surface. any suggestion on oven is welcome

Re: Base for oven

The whole question of footing or not is a very contested debate. The simple answer is if you have frost in the winter then you should put in footings. That said i live in Minnesota and due to the ground type I live on I chose to not do it, but I did make the outside edge of my slab 12" thick and the rest is 6" thick and my rebar is 8" on center. I also ran rebar up out of the slab in to the block. But I would say if you have a lot of clay and frost then you will have trouble with frost heave.

Randy

Comment

ok so we have clay so I guess footings?

Comment

I have clay soil and we get below freezing for months at a time and I opted not to have footings. I did have a professional concrete contractor pour my base slab (was also pouring a large concrete patio at the same time). He said that if I went with 12"+ of compacted crushed base and a 6" thick slab heavily reinforced with #4 rebar it shouldn't crack and if it does, it wouldn't heave enough to mess with the oven. A year later and it looks as good as the day he poured it. I think footings aren't necessary if you or someone you hire will take the time to do proper prep work followed by proper curing. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
        X