Block stand or poured concrete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block stand or poured concrete?

Our FB pizza oven is on ordered and should be ready to ship any day. I'm having trouble figuring out what kind of stand i should go with. We are building a new house - and it's all but done. I 'thought' just having the stand poured in place would be the best option since the concrete guys are going to be working there pouring the patio and the fire pit anyway. But I haven't gotten a bid from the concrete contractor yet. But my builder said the contractor told him and its pricy. How pricy remains to be seen.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Does everyone build a block stand because it's more economical? I'm not using brick to finish the stand. We have built a modern home, so the patio and fire pit are concrete. Even if we build it out of block, the outside will be smooth with stucco. Any opinions would be so awesome! Thank you!

Re: Block stand or poured concrete?

Originally posted by Lipstick View Post
    Our FB pizza oven is on ordered and should be ready to ship any day. I'm having trouble figuring out what kind of stand i should go with. We are building a new house - and it's all but done. I 'thought' just having the stand poured in place would be the best option since the concrete guys are going to be working there pouring the patio and the fire pit anyway. But I haven't gotten a bid from the concrete contractor yet. But my builder said the contractor told him and its pricy. How pricy remains to be seen.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Does everyone build a block stand because it's more economical? I'm not using brick to finish the stand. We have built a modern home, so the patio and fire pit are concrete. Even if we build it out of block, the outside will be smooth with stucco. Any opinions would be so awesome! Thank you!
    Most build with block because it is quite easy. Especially when dry stacked and cores filled.

Building forms for an above ground structure takes a bit of skill and more than a few tools to make it so it will not collapse when the ton or so of wet concrete is poured in.

The reason you are going to see a reasonably high quote for your pour is that forming the oven base is a custom size not likely readily available to a contractor who pours foundations and footings. So he will need to build custom forms for your oven base.

The poured base in theory would be stronger but all in all the block built stand is significantly stronger and more durable than could ever be needed anyway.
    Chip

Comment

I agree w/Chip. If you go w/block, you may want to have your concrete guy pour a good footing for you while he's around. Hopefully he'll dig down below frost line. I hear it can get a bit cold there. Something to consider.
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Thank you both so much. That does make sense why block would be better. Earlier today I had decided that's what we should do. And yes - footings are definitely in the plans I drew up. Now to just get to the point where the stand could be built - it has rained here quite a bit lately and so the pour was scheduled for tomorrow. Now there's rain scheduled again too. So it might not happen tomorrow either. Thanks guys! You are so appreciated!

Comment

Working...
        X