Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build - Dome Advice

Hi there,

I am after some guidance concerning the building of my dome for my wood fired clay oven.

I am in the process of completing the plinth, should be finished by this evening before tackling the laying of my oven floor - fire bricks.

I am going to create with the sand mound for a diameter of 80cm and therefore with an internal roof height of 40cm (1:2 ratio).

When I was purchasing the fire clay (150kg), the supplier also sold me dense castable to line the oven (temp up to 1,400c). The castable only needs to be mixed with water resembling peanut butter consistency. Can I cover the wet newspaper lining the sand mound with this mixture to create the oven interior? I will then add 3 x 7cm walls made from, fire clay mortar, then fire clay mortar mixed with wood shavings and the outer walls being fire clay mortar mixed with perlite.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated as until last week, I had never ever laid a brick or mixed cement.

I have attached photo of my almost completed plinth.

Regards
    Carl

Re: New Build - Dome Advice

Rain delayed finishing the structure tonight, just 2.5 blocks and then its time to build the layers beneath the fire clay bricks oven floor and onto the dome.

Any advice on the insulating layers would be greatly appreciated, as I am strating in the morning.

Carl

Comment

Working...
    X