Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Has Anyone Ever Used Cob for the Stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Has Anyone Ever Used Cob for the Stand?

I'm curious if it can be done. It's something I really want to learn how to do anyway but I'm not sure of its compressive strength and how massive the walls would have to be to support the oven's weight. I assume it's possible given that you can build houses with it but it may not be practical which is why I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it or knows of it being done.

Yes, I'm weird.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Question: Has Anyone Ever Used Cob for the Stand?

I'd be curious to know what cob is. My experience gave me two:
    Something nature uses to support corn.
    A kind of salad.

Comment

Sorry, it's similar to mud brick only it's not dried before construction, but during.

Cob (building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

corrected link
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Doh! Thanks!

Better one: What is Cob?

[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks! Now I know what it is, but certainly not enough to be much help.
            Earl

Comment

That's okay.

I can find references to making mud ovens out of cob but nothing about using them or how well they work. I'd rather use brick for the oven itself - I just can't see how a mud oven wouldn't end up having trouble with spalding.

[/CENTER]

Comment

I do not have any experience using a cob oven, but I have always thought it was more of a "yes it can be done" approach, rather than something you would want to have and cook with for years.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

That was my thinking. I think cob would make for a very pretty - and much more workable for me - stand if I can find out how thick the walls should be to support that much weight.

Thanks!

[/CENTER]

Comment

My nephew built a mud oven a couple of summers ago, and that's what got me obsessed with wood fired cooking & now baking. I am unsure if it is truly a cob oven - it may be just mud and straw.

It is a small oven and was built using a sand dome as the form. It does not have a chimney and cooks well; now that it has some age, he no longer has any spalling on the inside - no more sandy food.

On to the stand, I would worry about the lack of reinforcement, not so much the compressive strength. Afterall, it native americans build houses out of less.

J W

Comment

Good point. I know some cob houses are buttressed but don't know when that's necessary.

If interlocking block are available I'll probably go with that and stucco the exterior.

Hmmmm....

[/CENTER]

Comment

Hey there strangers. Been very busy. One of the projects I shot recently was a press conference for my friend's non profit about the Bee disappearance problem. Yes. I am a hippie. Anyway, one of the panel members was a cute farmer girl who has a foundation of some kind that build cobb ovens and plant gardens for inner city youth. (i could have this totally wrong.. I think I'm close though) So anyhoo.. she sent me some pictures of one of her builds.. I encouraged her to join the forum and further discus her cobb experiences, but if she's too busy saving the world, I'll try and answer questions through her.

Comment

Coolness! I love the pics!

Actually, I think the pictures just answered my question - if they are using block under a mud oven it's a pretty good bet that it's not strong enough to take the pressure from a brick oven. Ah well...

But if you don't mind asking I would love to know for certain.

Big coincidence - I have a friend who's been telling me a bit about that same problem (CCD - colony collapse disorder - I think it's called).

[/CENTER]

Comment

Hello. At RedBrickNick's encouragement, I joined your forum. Point one, I'm a grad student in biology, and I happen to farm/help with cob ovens on the side. My twin sister was actually on the panel, she's a farmer. (She's the cute one).

As for the foundation question, I'm sure that a foundation could be built out of cob, or even straw-bale wall, but quite simply, the foundation holds cob upright. Cob is heavy, and you don't want it to sink or crack over time. Using cement-blocks filled with sand still allows heat to conduct/convect. And given a river-rock facade (which we haven't made yet) keeps the oven pretty.

If you have any questions on ovens/farming/plants/bees/papercrete, let me know!

Comment

Cool, thanks! It's the stand, not the foundation, that I had in mind, but that answers the question.

What about the oven itself? Does it have trouble with spalding? It seems like it would.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X