High Heat Mortar Mix question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Heat Mortar Mix question

Hello, I have conflicting formulas (by different dealers/people etc..)
    One mix is thi:
    1 part cement, i part fireclay
    another is:
    1 part cement, 1 part fireclay, 10-12 parts sand

Seems like an awful big difference in mixes, or is it just me???

Re: High Heat Mortar Mix question

Hi Frenchcanuck
    I have almost finished my Pompeii, only the final mosaic tiling to complete and I used a well tried and proven mix for my firebrick mortar, as 3 parts brick layers sand, 1 part hydrated lime, 1 part fireclay and 1 part portland cement.
    I have used it for 4 large cookups and no sign of problems.
    I certainly would NOT USE either of the formulas that you mentioned.
    I would recommend using a brickie sand rather than a washed concrete or plaster sand, but I don't know what you have vailable in your district.

Hope this helps. I have a full pictorial build and explanation in the 'Brick oven photos' forum if you want to follow my construction.

All the best with yours.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Re: High Heat Mortar Mix question

I concur with Neill. That is the exact formula I used for the barrel vaulted bread oven I constructed. It was a recipe I got through the grandson of a oven mason in Czechoslovakia. The only alteration I made was on the wall bricks where some people lay dry joints I used straight fireclay mixed with water. Other than that all joints are mortared with that recipe!
      Best
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
      X