Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with a new/old oven

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking for a few days now and would like to know if the installation process for this oven ( sorry, not a Forno Bravo) is anything like yours.

My father in law imported 5 pizza ovens from Italy about 20 years ago which 4of them were accounted for and I've been warehousing (my business) the
    5th one since then. Since I couldn't find a place inside the house, I'm in the process of building an outdoor kitchen and thought I would incorporate this oven. The manufacturer is Caminetti Montegrappa and looking at their website, they have gone to fireplaces and heaters.
    I've been looking at some of the diagrams on how to build the stand and it seems pretty straight forward (but very labor intensive). Being that the bottom of the oven is 5-3/4 inches thick, do I still need to add an insulating portion to the stand or can it just be poured from regular concrete? The sides are even thicker so I was thinking of going with the metal stud frame with hardibacker. I think I remember seeing that there should be at least 4" insulation or can I just stucco over the oven.

I know these are a lot of questions but I need to start somewhere. I've scanned a diagram of the oven so you could see how it is assembled but it's not letting me attach it. Maybe I have to wait for my initial post.

Thanks in advance
    Dan

Re: Newbie with a new/old oven

Definitely yes, insulate! Otherwise that concrete slab that the oven is resting on will become a huge heat sink for your oven temperature. Be sure both slabs are reinforced well and all esle should be fine. Insualte walls also and the metal suds and hardi board is a good idea. Make sure there is enough room for the oven to expand. Speaking for the rest of us oven geeks, we'll help. I wish I just happened to have a masonry oven to just put up. Lucky, you are. Talking like Yoda go I there, crap oh!
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Insulate insulate insulate! I would still download the oven plans on this site (you order them from the store for free). It gives a lot of information about building the stand and finishing the oven. Just skip over the dome building section!

Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to the web site and start working on the plans and layout today.

Comment

Here is a picture of the assembly. What do you think?

Comment

This is an interesting oven - a box design.

And to echo the rest of us oven geeks, I only have three things to say - insulate, Insulate, INSULATE.

J W

Comment

You can't be too thin, too rich, or have too much insulation under, around, and on top of your oven.

This is an odd oven, particularly for an Italian design. First, it's small, 22 1/2 inches square is pushing it for fire in the oven cooking. The cubic oven shape, and top vent, and door outside the flue opening means it is going to be a chalenge to cook in this. It will probably be a better bake oven than a pizza oven. You may want to consider some kind of flue damper to try to keep some heat in while baking.

Still, you can't beat the price. And yes, insulate, insulate, insulate.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                You can't be too thin, too rich, or have too much insulation under, around, and on top of your oven.

This is an odd oven, particularly for an Italian design. First, it's small, 22 1/2 inches square is pushing it for fire in the oven cooking. The cubic oven shape, and top vent, and door outside the flue opening means it is going to be a chalenge to cook in this. It will probably be a better bake oven than a pizza oven. You may want to consider some kind of flue damper to try to keep some heat in while baking.

Still, you can't beat the price. And yes, insulate, insulate, insulate.
                It does have a damper and my father in law has his built inside the house and uses it a lot for cooking. I will definitely insulate, insulate, insulate though. I'm still designing and checking the forum in the meantime.

Comment

This is one of those designs you most assuredly need a damper in the chimney to control heat losses.
                  --mr.jim
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------
                  The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
                  unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X