Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre cast sewer pipes and round slabs

Hi all

i was having a look around and think about a stand for my oven today.

has anyone thought of or used precast pipes and slabs for the stand and hearth slab.

Here in western Australia we have mostly sand for "dirt" so we install a thing called a soakwell in the yard and pipe in the downpipes from the roof of the house. the rain water just "soaks" into the sand and does not need to go to the yard or street. the rain can bucket down but they just "soak" it up

they come in various precast size "circles" (pipes) with 5 inch thick lids and i was thinking i could just put one on a slab and render it or something to mnke it look a little better. i could cut a hole in the side to use for wood storage or not bother??

any thoughts, i am yet to confirm the structual strength of the pipes but reckon they would be strong as they can go under driveways if needed etc.

cheers

Maheel

Re: pre cast sewer pipes and round slabs

Sounds very interesting. Do you have a picture of one?

I don't know how thick the walls are on these pipes, but if strength was a concern, could you "nest" two of them together (the inner one with a radius 6"-8" smaller than the outer) and fill the gap in with rebar and concrete?
    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

I've always thought this was a great idea. Concrete sewer pipe comes in all configurations, including junction pieces that have big holes in the side for attachments of other pipes. All you have to do is lay a donut shaped footing, have the vendor lower the concrete pipe in place with the hole in the direction of your wood storage, and you have a big flange ready to hold your support slab casting. Strong? you bet. Affordable? I don't know. I see them dig them up for replacement, but they have already been in storm water service or worse. Worth looking into, I think.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

These would defiantly work for what you are asking. Sounds similar to a precast septic tank or dry well. Problem is by the time you pay for delivery and placement you could have had it built out of block and covered with stucco.. Around here they come delivered on a flatbed 10 wheeler or larger with a boom crane. It would defiantly work though...
        http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

I see them used for fire pits in the home improvement books.

I thought they would be economical....

Christo
          Last edited by christo; 08-27-2007, 05:19 PM.
          My oven progress -
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
          sigpic

Comment

i am off to look at some fire bricks today, the company that makes them here in Perth even mentioned this web site for info !!!

but i will take the camera and take some photos of the type of pipe i mean

JoeT62

" Sounds very interesting. Do you have a picture of one?

I don't know how thick the walls are on these pipes, but if strength was a concern, could you "nest" two of them together (the inner one with a radius 6"-8" smaller than the outer) and fill the gap in with rebar and concrete? "

i thought i could fill it with sand if i thought it was not strong enough plenty of that around here

i know i can get a 600mm round by 600mm delivered for about $165 and thats a full "kit" for stormwater just need to find a bigger version

like this, well you can see the lid, the pipe just looks like 600mm sewer pipe with small holes in the sides to let the water out

Soak wells Perth - Perth Soakwell installation Concrete, PVC
            Last edited by maheel; 08-27-2007, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Okay, someone has to be the one to ask - what's a soakwell? The pipe you're describing sounds like drainage pipe so is it some kind of greywater system?
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                Okay, someone has to be the one to ask - what's a soakwell? The pipe you're describing sounds like drainage pipe so is it some kind of greywater system?
                not greywwater

it's for the rain or stormwater that comes off your roof

here in WA the soil is so sandy we just install a large "piece" of sewer pipe into (underground) the ground and pipe the roof downpipes into it. it has a few extra holes in the sides. they are making fancy plastic one's now as well

when it rains the water just "soaks" away even when it really rains hard the water does not fill it up. the sand absorbs so much water here it amazing.

it's kind of like a septic with no bottom and it's only for rain water from your house roof.

i had never seen them before on the east coast of australia as we just run it to the street there and the sewers take it away

what do yo do with the rain water in Alabama after it leaves the roof??
                Last edited by maheel; 08-27-2007, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Maheel
                  I know what you mean about the concrete pipes, sounds a good idea if you can get one at the right price. Once its on site (assuming its relatively flat) it could be rolled into place and then jacked up on its end.

Rocla make them - I'm guessing you could also use a thing called a "box culvert".
                  Rocla Pty Limited - Reinforced Concrete Box Culverts
                  I've seen them as fire escapes in large factories etc......basically its a "U" shape concrete section. If one didn't take the weight, two side by side (imagine an "M" shape) might.

I knew Perth was on sand but I didn't realise you could do your stormwater like that, sounds much easier. In Adelaide its the opposite - we have a lot of clay so therefore we have to get our roof and groundwater to the street stormwater system ....otherwise it creates all sorts of moisture issues.
                  Cheers
                  Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by maheel View Post
                    not greywwater

it's for the rain or stormwater that comes off your roof

here in WA the soil is so sandy we just install a large "piece" of sewer pipe into (underground) the ground and pipe the roof downpipes into it. it has a few extra holes in the sides. they are making fancy plastic one's now as well

when it rains the water just "soaks" away even when it really rains hard the water does not fill it up. the sand absorbs so much water here it amazing.

it's kind of like a septic with no bottom and it's only for rain water from your house roof.

i had never seen them before on the east coast of australia as we just run it to the street there and the sewers take it away
                    Okay, cool - so it's kinda like a huge French drain then. Thanks.

Originally posted by maheel View Post
                    what do yo do with the rain water in Alabama after it leaves the roof??
                    Mostly guide it away from the foundation with gutters/downspout and then let the soil soak it up. Here in the Blackbelt we have extremely fertile top soil on a bed of clay and it takes more than a few inches of rain before the soil is saturated. Drainpipe (which is a much smaller PVC version of what you described only laid horizontally with the holes down) is sometimes laid around the foundation to provide drainage where soil or terrain create drainage problems.

My house is over a hundred years old and only has 3 feet of gutter which is over what used to be the front door merely to let people get in and without getting drenched. There are no other gutters on the house at all. The last time my yard had any serious standing water was after Hurricane Dennis.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                    [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                    X