Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to find old Info. on angle grinders, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to find old Info. on angle grinders, etc.

I have been through all my old Email and Forum exchanges but haven't found someone's (Robert Musa? Paul ? Jim? ) comments about grinders and abrasive disks.

If you've written anything about cutting concrete block, &/or angle iron and still have your post would you mind republishing it on this Newbie Forum?

If you don't want to re-post, and can easily find it, would you email it to me directly at marceld@efn.org?

I believe that you wrote something concerning using a diamond wheel in the angle grinder?

I need to buy one, probably a cheap 7 inch tool from Harbor Freight and would like to know of the appropriate wheel to choose for cutting both angle iron, and concrete block.

I am also considering one of their cheap ($80) 4 inch tile saws. Any comments? _________

Thanks,

Marcel
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Marcel,

I'm not sure this is in the right order but, ....

My local home depot has a 4" tile saw on sale for $88. I have had two, and was very happy. I killed the first on a home addition a number of years ago when they were made from more plastic, and bought a second for a home addition (and brick ovens) three years ago. It's has more steel parts and is still going.

For moving material against the saw, it works well, though it is "two pass" for brick. I have cut marble tile, travertine pavers, brick (two pass) and ceramic tile -- with few problems.

For moving the saw against the material, I like a skill saw with a diamond blade. I have killed quite a few of those, but for my outdoor kitchen, I bought an inexpensive skill saw, with a nice diamond blade, for everything: cutting concrete blocks, cutting brick, and cutting slab granite. The saw held up, and I went through two $15 blades.

Everyone finds the main tool they like, and I find a skill saw more capable than a grinder with a small diamond blade. One man's opinion. :-)

Maybe the right answer is that there is no right answer, but what works for you. Don't forget that a few tools and blades are lost in the noise, so always have a sharp blade.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

saws

I bought a plastic tile saw at MSC. It's like a little table saw where the bottom of the blade runs in a pool of water. With a seven inch blade it' won't cut all the way through a brick. The worst problem is that this style of saw is that it throws the mud of cutting up in your face. Even if you wear goggles, the abrasive sludge quickly makes the lenses of the goggles opaque.

If you can get one, your life will be much easier if you get the type where the diamond wheel runs above the movable cutting table, and the water is pumped to the blade. This type of saw has a bigger blade and more powerful motor, you can cut bricks in one pass and while you don't stay dry, at least the mud in on your pants not your hair and face.

I've done jobs around the house where I've bought the best tool for the job, like a pneumatic floor nailer, kept it for the months that the job took in odd hours, and then sold it for a small loss on ebay. The amount you loose selling it used is far less than a few days rental fees. The secret to this trick? Keep all the original packing, manuals and un-sent registration card. (you know they are useless, but not everyone does) When your job is done, clean it 'til it shines, and photograph it with the original packing. List it as "just used for one home job".

I really advocate wet cutting. We only have one set of lungs and that cloud of brick dust and abrasives is really bad for you. A paper dust mask won't do it. If you cut dry, you need to wrap a wet towel around your face, and keep it wet and clean. The stuff you cough up is bad, the stuff you don't cough up is worse.

David
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I definitely agree that wet cutting is the way to go. Still, sometimes you have to move the saw against the material, as it is too large to handle. The little HD tile saw is wet.

Nice idea on ebay.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

all money considerations aside, you really can't come close to a 10" wet brick saw with any other tool. but it costs as much to rent for 2 days as the 7" tile saw costs to buy. i haven't checked out harbor freight, though. since they have everything else pretty damn cheap, they might have an inexpensive 10" wet saw that would work for one job, and could be resold either on ebay, as was mentioned, or in the nickels or whatever.

i haven't had any material too large to use with with this saw, but i am soon going to make my door out of a 12" x 24" x 2 1/2" refractory tile (same material as my bricks), which will not fit. a skillsaw and hose oughta work
          -Paul
          overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

I've found a 7 inch wet tile saw at Harbor Frieght & angle grinder

Thanks to all for your inputs. Harbor Freight has a store in Eugene OR. They have many different tile saws and angle grinders.

The WET tile saw I decided on is yet to be bought. It sports a 1/2 HP, 3400 RPM motor and clains to cut any size tile up to 1-1/2 inch thick so, James, that should make it a "two pass" for brick" if the firebricks are 2 1/2 inch in their smallest dimension.

The Item # is 91511-OVGA

The selling price is $69.99. It says that it comes with a 7 inch diamond blade.

Replacement blades are $14.99 and have the item # 41638-6VGA

================================================== =======

The angle grinder is on sale for 5 more days. It is a 5.5 Amp and has ball bearings and heat treated gears. The regular price is $29.99 but it is on sale for $18.49. At that price I can't say no.[img]images/icons/icon14.gif[/img]

It's Item # is 31309-4VGA

================================================== =====

To view these tools go to www.harborfreight.com and do a Search for the items I described. You will be able to download the Specs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

Ciao,

Marcel
            Last edited by Marcel; 08-16-2005, 01:35 PM.

Comment

marcel,
              i just stopped by harbor freight on my way home, and they have a 10" wet tile saw (the blade on top style saw) on sale for $189. i can get 20% off of this from a friend who works there, and help pass it on if you are gonna be in portland. personally i would really reccomend spending the bit extra for the 10". it is SO much easier to work with, as you can do cuts in a single pass and angled cuts also. if you're interested just PM me.
              -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Good deal!

James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Refractory tile

Originally posted by paulages
                  I haven't had any material too large to use with with this saw, but i am soon going to make my door out of a 12" x 24" x 2 1/2" refractory tile (same material as my bricks), which will not fit. a skillsaw and hose oughta work
                  Tell us about this refractory tile! I can think of lots of good uses for it, like an oven floor with fewer seams, and especially the sill above the oven entry.

Is it much more expensive than firebrick? Is one piece too heavy/awkward to handle?

I assume you got it at the same place as the tapered arch bricks.

David

Comment

Refractory tile floor

Here's how 6) 12 x 24 refractory tiles (and change) could form the floor of a 36" pompeii. Magenta line is outside diameter of dome.

Comment

What is the cost of one 12 x 24 x 2.5 inch Refrac. tile?

(M) How much does one of those refractory tiles cost? ____

(M) Paul wrote, in part, "a skillsaw and hose oughta work"

(M) So, if they're expensive, I'd consider taking just one tile to a specialty tile house for cutting. We have one: "Eugene Tile and Marble" who have cut granite for me before. I would guess that Portland has such a place, too.

===============================================

(M) David, would it be easy to submit another similar drawing for the tile lay-out, but for a 42" Pompeii? ____

==============================================

Comment

it's not nearly as elegant for the 42 inch oven, mostly because you need a lot more brick edging, and the brick sizes don't line up with the tile edge. Also - I haven't measured one of these tiles. A lot of masonry products are undersized to allow for a mortar joint.

David

Comment

the tiles are indeed available at HWR. they have all kinds of sizes. i believe the 12" x 24" is the biggest they have, and it's pricey ($30 a tile i believe). i considered using them for my floor, but the cost was considerably more per sq. foot. would definitely make a great floor though. and i'm pretty sure these are true measurements.
                          -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Working...
                          X