wet saw care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wet saw care

My bricks finally arrived. My wet saw works good. It is a 10" wet saw with submersable pump. The instructions are a bit lacking. How ofter do I need to change the water. I guess at the end of the day I should sinse it all down and put away dry? Say after cutting 20 bricks or so should the water be changed? ....Wayne
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Re: wet saw care

I know what you mean. After just a few cuts the water starts getting pretty muddy looking. I usually just washed it out good at the end of a session of cutting. My little pump wouldn't send water to the blade at times but I found that I could take the hose loose at the blade end and squirt the hose through it and it would clear up and start pumping again. It's a pretty fool-proof saw, the Harbor Freight made in China model. Anyway, good luck and keep some pictures coming. We all like to join in the ooh-ing and ah-ing
    Mike
    "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

I am a big fan of the pump in a 5 gal bucket of clean water. The pump lasts longer, and you get better water flow with fresh water. I'm also in the habit of placing a different 5 gal bucket under the drain hole this lets the water and silt flow right into the bucket. If you prop it up on say a block you don't have much if any splashing. It is Sooooo much easier to throw away or rinse out that bucket than the tray after a days cutting.

I usually spray the whole thing down with a good strong spray and then hit the motor (while running) the fins tend to get over spray on them and this is what usually is the reason for failure on most electric tile saws. Motor gets gunked up (industry term).

The water changing is entirely up to how the cutting is going. If you feel like its effecting the performance of the saw (not enough flow) then by all means change it. as I have said before those pumps that come with the HF saw are really not saw pumps there pond pumps and while they do give a good flow of water they are not made to take the silt produces while using the saw, hence the 5gal bucket usage.
      http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Originally posted by Unofornaio View Post
        I am a big fan of the pump in a 5 gal bucket of clean water. The pump lasts longer, and you get better water flow with fresh water. I'm also in the habit of placing a different 5 gal bucket under the drain hole this lets the water and silt flow right into the bucket.
        I agree! I've cut several dozen bricks now with Unofornaio's 5 gal bucket method (thanks for the great idea). I'll try putting a second bucket under the open drain hole today.

Ken
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks guys, I will do the same. ......wayne
          see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Comment

I just purchased my saw, what a deal. We have a Harbor Freight store nearby so it was nice to go pick up. I don't know how many are aware of their extended warranty, but it is worth the $45. Let me explain for those unsure of where to purchase.
            If you purchase from HF, a 2 year warrranty covers all damage no questions. IF after the project you do not want thje saw they will accept the return and refund purchase price. This was a store manager telling me this. Also, if towards the end of the warranty you wish to extend it again, you return the original saw get a new saw and pay $45 for the new warranty. You can't go wrong with this. This applies to all their eletrical tooling and equipment. I intend to purchase my nailers and compressor from them too.
            We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children. In Wilderness is the preservation of the World. - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
            X