How long to learn to use a Brick Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to learn to use a Brick Oven

Was wondering how long it takes someone with no experience to use a Brick Oven to make satisfactory pizza.

1 week, 1 month, 6 months?

Thanks.

Originally posted by nphorizon
    Was wondering how long it takes someone with no experience to use a Brick Oven to make satisfactory pizza.
    Thanks.
    90 seconds to 3 minutes depending on how hot your oven is. but learning to make the perfect dough requires a lifetime. btw, no matter what, my first pizza (during any pizza making session) always comes out less than satisfactory. i just chalk it up to the pizza gods demanding a sacrifice...
    my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
    www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

I think you can make a pizza that you like the first time you fire a brick oven, and you improve from there. The high-end pizzaiolos and instructors always tell me that learning to make great pizza takes a lifetime, and that they are always improving -- that is the highest level of the craft. There are professional pizzaiolo classes you can take, both in Italy and the states.

I would also venture that after a solid week of practice -- you could make a great deal of progress.

One thing I also think about when I see poorly run brick ovens in restaurants -- keep your oven hot and cook 2-3 minutes pizzas. There's nothing worse than a 5 minute wood-fired pizza. I think they come out dry, tough and chewy. It's a waste of a nice oven. :-)

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

The heat is key! My "first time", anxiety got the best of me (I'm talking about pizza...)ha! I slipped the pizza in too soon... the results were still O.K. During the last three months, once a week or so, each result consistently got better. Definitely worth the wait no matter how long it takes.

Bob C
        Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

pizza classes

can anyone recommend a US based professional pizzaiolo class??

Comment

Are you looking for a series of good high-end lessons for a home oven, or for opening a Pizzeria? I have some good leads on both. Forno Bravo will be offering pizza oven lessons for home owners in Healdsburg (NorCal) starting in the next couple of weeks through a partnership with an excellent wine country chef.

We can also arrange professional classes in the states with Italian pizzaiolo trainers. I have a couple of opinions on various schools that I can share off-line. If you can drop me an email, we can go into it a little further.

There are also some very good Italian schools that we can recommend -- both for home owners and restaurant owners.

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: How long to learn to use a Brick Oven

Please please please. I would love to find one of these classes. I live in San Diego, but would be more than willing to travel anywhere!!

Comment

I would also like to hear about any homeowner classes that might be available. The problem is I am on the east coast.
                Please keep us posted

Comment

I know chef Roberto Donna is offering a wood fired pizza workshop in early December in Arlington, VA. When Julia Child wanted to learn to make pizza, she took a class from this guy.

Cooking Classes - Bebo Trattoria da Roberto Donna
                  Nikki

Comment

Working...
                  X