Step by step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step by step

Okay, call me stupid, but where exactly are the step by step istructions for the pompeii oven build?

Originally posted by Hungry
    Okay, call me stupid, but where exactly are the step by step istructions for the pompeii oven build?
    start here
    my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
    www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

Yeah,

Start up there!

Seriously, a great deal of information in Robert's link. Also, ask many questions..the people here are a great help.

Bob C.
      Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

Next question, comparing MOST precast modular ovens, the cost is around 2,000. Minus tools, what is an approx. cost for the pompeii design for most of you? This does not include the finish work, just comparing oven to oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Hungry
          Next question, comparing MOST precast modular ovens, the cost is around 2,000. Minus tools, what is an approx. cost for the pompeii design for most of you? This does not include the finish work, just comparing oven to oven.
          for the dome itself, less than $500 for the materials and then about $5,000 worth of time and labour. at the time i built mine, money was a consideration, but at some point of affluence the money / time lines cross. certainly now i would give serious consideration to a precast if only to save the additional construction time and avoid several additional weeks of the messiest yard and garage on earth.
          www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

an additional point;

i think, if money is tight, going with the pompeii allows you to have a larger oven than you might otherwise with the precast.

one thing to keep in mind when viewing my site is that i was using the old school design and construction methods. you should use the island hearth and the styrofoam vane dome template methods instead.
            www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

Charm of the handmade

There's always the bragging rights about "I made it myself" Anyone can get out their checkbook.

Full disclosure: "Charm of the handmade" is a snide remark about something badly done, in my trade. With the help and example of the folks here there's no reason you can't build an oven as good as anyone's.

Ask lots of questions, read everything before you get started.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Don't forget that we sell precast ovens. :-) That's our real business.

Our Casa80 retails for $1950, and includes the vent, door, insulating blanket and the oven tool set. I think it is the best priced prefab oven out there, and it is basically the best one you can find in Italy. It's the top brand there.

The logic is that while the precast oven costs more than the bricks and mortar that make up the floor, dome and vent, they have you a lot of time, and reduced the risk of something not working right. The rest of the installation, including the hearth, stand and enclosure, are the same. If you you calculte the cost of labor, the precast oven saves money.

I've always said that we want to bring the market dynamic of the Italian market to the states.

James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                X