Aussie Readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Readers

Ive just found your site & signed up. Are there any readers from Australia QLD?

Buongiorno Doug,

Welcome. I hope you find our forum interesting and useful. I've been told there are quite a few brick ovens in Australia and a large Italiain ex-pat community. We've met quite a few Australian-Italian families in Tuscany -- all interesting folks, with bi-lingual children. We're American-English.

Looking forward to hearing more.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Aussie Readers

Gin Gin Doug?
      We're Bundabergish, and just starting out.
      Jeff.

Comment

Hi Doug,
        I'm a bit far south in SA.......but hi & welcome anyway
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Bacterium,
          Looks like Doug is out of the loop at present: (2 year delay, hardly surprising).
          Mate two questions.
          (1) my oven floor bricks are going to have gaps, as in big mobs: do I fillem with a fireclay slurry, or what?
          (2)Mixing part sawdust in a cement/vermiculite concrete. Do you know of any problems (eg tannins interfering with cement/lime chemistry)? I figure the inner sawdust will char, even ash, possibly hindering heat transfer. Have seen no reference to same, so can't be good.

James, thanks too much for your site mate. Flamin brilliant; thanks also to your regular contributors. Pure gold.
          Jeff.

Comment

Jeff.....on point 1:
            .mmmm I'm not sure I just used two big firebrick tiles to avoid having more than one gap....I guess the main thing is to minimise the gap width so the less the mortar (or fireclay) the better......probably some of the more qualified on here can help.

Point 2.
            Not heard of sawdust being used generally...where abouts on the oven are you thinking?
            The vermiculite/cement combo is usually enough as an insulator.
            Cheers
            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

we are in the blue mountains in nsw. we have just built our pizza oven a couple of weeks ago and are working out the teething problems, had a frustrating weekend of failures, oven too hot, oven not hot enough, burnt polenta, burnt flour....ahhhhhh. Back to the drawing board.. cheers..

Comment

Joey you Goose: good onya. At least your oven is up and running.
                I'm still in the dark, but I THINK I can discern a dull glow in the far distance.

So far, I've bricked up six courses, and laid an insulating layer of (wait for it) three custom orb layers of roofing iron, (cross-layed), each with aluminium foil insulation below.Broken floor tiles used as spacers between each layer. All left-overs.
                And what the hell? Should work a treat, but time (or others), will tell.
                Bacterium (Damon).
                I got laid up at the start of this project, (no pun intended,Brickies,believe me.)so had ample time to read, so I read the library dry, from mud ovens to pottery kilns. Strangely enough, it was only the pottery work that offered sawdust: clay like 3:1. (That's close, but please don't sue me), as a semi-insulating medium. so that will be the mix that binds the dome together.
                Said enough.
                Advice/comments (especially BAD ones) welcome, please.
                Jeff.
                ps: am looking at a 12" ss bowl for the flue/stack joiner. Any advice? jh.

Comment

hi there, another new aussie reader here. im about to landscape my backyard and im designing the whole thing around an igloo style oven. lots to read and learn on this great forum and website!

Comment

Hi Doug, I'm from the Sunny Coast(Notso at the moment) in QLD. Just waiting for the weather to clear so I can begin work on my Pizza Oven and Firepit. Glad I stumbled across this site. Very informative.
                    Never Play Leapfrog With A Unicorn

Comment

Hi Guys I am from Brisbane...

And I am looking at building one of these in my new house (which should be finnished in a month)... I am just starting out and doing my homework, by the looks of it, I have allot of reading then a hunt for plans

what a great site!!

Comment

Hi maestr000, Welcome to the site. You have lots of time to do the research and you don't even need to go anywhere to find plans. James has made that available for free on the site.

inishta

Comment

G'day. I'm pretty keen to build our first wood fired oven. As we live out in the sticks brick would stand out like the proverbial, so I'm wondering if I could utilise rocks to build it. We've plenty to spare and it would fit nicely with all the rock walls around the house. Interested in any thoughts you may have. Cheers.

Comment

Hi justjack, welcome to Forno Bravo. Natural stone is a great medium for finishing ovens. I'm a big fan myself. Have a look through the site and I'm sure you will find plenty to inspire you.

Comment

What are you blokes doing - starting an Aussie Pizza Oven Mafia
                              It's great to see more and more Aussies finding one another on this great site!!

Good luck with all your projects - I'm looking forward to seeing pictures soon.
                              I'm sure you'll all find this great forum as informative and as helpful as I have.
                              There's not a topic that I can think of that these blokes don't know the answer to.

I'll be starting my oven after I finish a few of the more boring jobs that the missus has lined up for me

Comment

Working...
                              X