Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 15 minute pizza? Please, HELP a new newbie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 15 minute pizza? Please, HELP a new newbie.

Hi, the taste is great yet they are taking up to 15 minutes to crisp. Started with the door open, went to a slight opening with not much of a difference.I am very close to the fire, vegetables (onions, bell peppers, cilantro)do have a high H2O content, yet I am not even using tomato sauce. Could it be I am not using enough fire wood?How much of the cooking surface is usually for firewood?What about the door?Any advice?Thanks!!

Re: A 15 minute pizza? Please, HELP a new newbie.

WP,

More information, please. How long are you firing your oven before baking? Is it well insulated? Do you have a method (IR gun) to gauge the heat of the floor?

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

CJ The dome oven is enclosed, the exterior of the dome is covered with 1"+ of a vermiculite/portland cement mix,then lined with insulfax?, which is covered with approximately 6" of loose vermiculite.I fired it about 30 min. with the door open, the flames were licking the dome and the floor was warm! The IR gun did arrive and will come out this weekend. Marc.
      Last edited by whitepizza; 01-18-2008, 09:03 AM.

Comment

WP,

Suggest you look at the Photo Gallery for "plasma" fire pics and do a search under the Firing Your Oven thread. To saturate the bricks with heat, you pretty well fill the chamber with seasoned hardwood and fire it for at least an hour (time varies, oven to oven). When all the soot burns off (the "white" stage), you're almost there. Push the fire to the side (you might have to take some coals out), then add a stick or two for a bright flame. At first, you're looking for a floor temp of about 750 F. With practice, you can move upward from there later. From what you say, your oven simply is not hot enough for pizza, though it looks like you have enough insulation.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I think the easiest way to make sure you oven is hot enough is to check that the entire dome has gone white (or clear). Depending on your oven and how well it is cured, that can take anywhere from 1-2 hours the first few times, with a serious fire.

Your pizza's should puff up in about 30 seconds. That's a god sign.

Keep firing.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

CJ Thanks a lot! Already looking forward to the weekend.Marc

Comment

If you haven't lost hair on your arms yet, you haven't got it hot enough.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

"I fired it about 30 min. with the door open, the flames were licking the dome and the floor was warm!"

I find it takes about 45 min to 1 hr. I start with a small fire for about 1/2 hr then load it up to "plasma" level for about 1/2 hr.

Comment

I tend to keep adding more wood until its too hot to get near the door...
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                  X