Lime mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lime mortar

Hi guys, first of all I'd like to comment on how informative and friendly this forum is (talk about sucking up). I'm yet another Aussie who is venturing into the pizza oven obsession.

I have spoken to a kiln builder who says there is no reason why a lime and sand mortar mix will not do the job for a pizza oven that'll get to 700-800 deg F. I'm only intending to use the oven on a weekly basis for a few pizzas and and to roast anything I can get my hands on.

Regards,
    Mr g

Re: Lime mortar

We had a long thread on lime mortar. Read, in particular, dutchoven's next to the last posting where he disassembled a 19c lime mortar red brick fireplace, but also read the whole thing. There are many lime construction links.

For me? Modern refractory mortars are carefully matched to the expansion of firebricks, and are likely to last for a long time, but other people have different opinions and ways of doing things. Frances made an oven with mortar made from just fireclay and sand, with some success

Welcome to Forno Bravo Forum. Good luck on your project. Keep us posted, particularly with pictures.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply dmun, will do.

Comment

mr g.
        How's progress on the lime mortar mix?
        Jeff.

Comment

Jeff, I've yet to decide whether to go with the lime mortar. My dad has decided to build one as well and he's very sure about the lime mortar mix so we'll build his oven first and see how that goes. Of course I've no intention on waiting too long before I build mine so any problems with his may not show for months/years.

To put it simply I just don't know yet. When I go and purchase my second hand fire bricks from the crazy kiln maker I'll check out how he's doing it.

What do you think?

Regards,
          mr g

Comment

I can tell you the FB homemade mud mix was loads easier to work with. the expensive Italian stuff was quick to dry in our heat/wind. Real pain to mix small enough batches and to keep the bricks wet enough without having them so we the mortar just slid off.

The homemade mud stuck like glue, stayed workable and so far is working fine in service.

Comment

Thanks for your tip Dave. Do you have any picks of your oven for us to look at?

Comment

My work was very design was very derivative of Paulages and Camarina. My brick work was nothing special. I've a few pix but was never got around to posting them. Believe me, you've seen much better on the forum than my work.

The only minor variants I employed were a combo soldier/skrew course made by nipping the corners off the soldiers. I also piece the floor inside the dome. IE, the soldiers sat right on the insulation board. 39 in ID, 19 In. dome height.

I've used it about 5-6 times now. Made 15 pizzas on Saturday followed by a stew in a cast iron pot and a chicken both cooked after cleaning out the coals. We were having too much fun playing in the pool and on the bocce court to mess with bread this time. Maybe tmw my italian buds will come over to bake bread.

Comment

Working...
                X