Score !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score !!!!

I really don't care about the superbowl score. I just scored on the firebrick front. My truck is loaded with 250 full firebricks and about 75 halfbricks that I picked up for $75 (US). I found someone who was going to build an oven and is now moving coast to coast. In addition to the bricks he gave me 2 five gallon buckets of fireclay and one bag of portland cement and about 30 common bricks. He even helped my load it into my truck.

I guess this means I am truely committed now. My wife will flog me if I leave piles of bricks around the yard without building

Now I just need for someone to have CMUs lying around unused.
    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Re: Score !!!!

You lucky #@!$@%

Good for you!

cant wait to see the pics!

dave
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Go for it!! Use your savings for extra insulation. Hope the guy moving to the East Coast starts one there.
      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
      Oven Thread

Comment

I just finished unloading my poor overburdened truck. The gentleman I bought the bricks from told me there were 250 full bricks. I accepted his count since I did'nt mind the price even if there were a few less. Now I have an embarassment of riches . Having unloaded and stacked the bricks I find that I have

450 full clean fire bricks
        50 full fire bricks that need to have some old mortar chipped off
        About 75 clean half fire bricks
        60 common brick ( nice orange colored hand made type)
        50 lbs of fire clay
        100 lbs of sand
        2 90 lb bags of portland cement.

I think I will have more than enough for the planned 36 inch oven, BBQ, and smoker. I may have to encourage some of my friends to start builds so they can remove my extras
        Last edited by brokencookie; 02-06-2008, 06:39 PM.

Comment

sweet!!! I like that. Share the wealth!!!!

Good luck and take lots of pictures!!!

Christo
          My oven progress -
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christo View Post
            sweet!!! I like that. Share the wealth!!!!

Good luck and take lots of pictures!!!

Christo
            Ditto!

Awesome find!
            My thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
            My costs:
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
            My pics:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Cookie... good for you. I completely struck out on my build. Although I managed some good pricing.....nothing like this. I can't wait to see the whole project complete......starting to feel a bit jealous.

RT

Comment

Brokencookie,
                I had a similiar win, about 1967. (Strewth. Just last year, eh . My, just how time slips by.)
                Thirty year (no mate hang on, 40 ) year ago,needed a b'n w photo enlarger. Answered an ad in the paper, and when I turned up in me 'glad rags', (as a student), this old German bloke gave the thing to me: not sure if it was terror or sympathy.
                Mate, if you want to flog off your surplus firebricks, feel free.
                Pre-paid to Bundaberg should do it.
                Don't worry about air freight BC, (Sea is fine, eh.)
                (Make that C/- FB, eh).
                Onya Brocken Cookie, well done.
                (Mate, I admire people who can create forum names. [I'm a card-carrying luddite, eh]. So is it legitimate to ask how BrockenCookie was born?
                Good onya BC: top build to you mate.
                Luddite Jeff.

Comment

Good find! You just turned your backyard into a construction zone, and you haven't even started yet.

No reason not to start working on the slab/foundation now. Easy digging in the pouring rain, right? At least the ground isn't hard to sink a shovel into.

George
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George,
                    That kid is going to kill you, (slowly), if ever these images get leaked to the Press.
                    Stay well eh.
                    Jeff.

Comment

Jeff,
                      Good prognostication. What a nice way to go though.

Broken Cookie - do you have that oven built yet????
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

If you carried that home all in one trip your truck must have felt like
                        I'm sure you owe it a fine detail job.
                        RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                        Oven Thread

Comment

Good point RC. Time for new shocks! My Chevy was sitting really low with just 200 bricks in it. I can't even imagine 250 plus all the extras.
                          GJBingham

-

Comment

Jeff
                            Brokencookie was born as an act of revenge. When I was young ( during the last ice age) my parents would joking tell me that I was adopted. They would then make my supposed birth name using my initials. Lovely names like Bad Crumb, Beastly Crap and the more popular Brokencookie. I named my business brokencookie just to poke fun at my Mom( she thinks it a hoot) and carried the name over into the forum so I won't forget who I am on the forum.

George
                            It was a long slow drive from Seattle to Olympia. Evertime I hit 45 MPH my poor old truck would groan and sway alarmingly. So, city streets and low gear are the ticket.
                            I had this horrible thought that is holding up construction. I remembered that my septic tank is somewhere near ( or under) my build site. The thought of my pizza oven sinking into the broken septic tank has paralyzed me until I can locate the septic tank and the direction of the drain field. Unless I feel like digging up the entire yard I am at the mercy of the county records office. With any luck they can supply a diagram of my septic before the next century rolls around.

Bruce

Comment

Ya that is one great find! Many here could only wish we had your luck! Way to go!! With All of those "discount" bricks you may want to consider making your oven bigger than 36". I have a 42" and I don't think there is one member here (including me) with a 40+" oven that wishes it was smaller!

Cheers, Versachi
                              "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
                              X