Covering of the vermiculite/cement layer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering of the vermiculite/cement layer

What type of rendering do I need to put on to the vermiculite/cement insulation layer on the dome as to make it waterproof? On the dome there is 3 inches of ceramic blanket and 5inches of vermiculite/cement
    I plan on leaving the oven in an igloo shape with no walls. It rains a lot where I live so it would need to be waterproof.

I used waterproof shower tile cement, but then I completed a mosaic shell which is not something I'd recommend. Try googling a product called K-Rend which is a dry pre-mixed waterproof render widely available in the UK; alternatively use a standard mortar (3-1 Sand-cement) mix with a waterproofing agent from any builders merchant.
    Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

oblertone: why would you not recommend a mosaic shell? I'm in the same situation as torrie having completed vermiculite/cement layer.

Comment

It may have to do with the degree of difficulty that he put into his magnificent design. .

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Wow!! Nice work, oblertone! I think I'll go for a similar, however not as advance design.

Comment

it looks good and tempting as i am now thinking what to use as top coat for my brick oven but i don't know how safe it is to use tile cement, how will it cope with high temperatures especially the area close to the flue? on my oven the area around the door reaches 75c and the vermicrete mix copes well but as it needs a top coat i looked in to the k-rend but it's not suitable for outside use for temperatures under 5c

Comment

Working...
            X