Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperPeel

Hello everyone,
    I have had my Primavera 60 for about a month or so. Had some damage during installation that took some time to fix but in the interim, I was taking my time curing my oven. Had the oven up to 1000 degrees over a period of a couple of weeks and was very excited to make my first pizzas. Took a pizza making class at a local restaurant that uses a wood-fired oven and I thought I was ready to go. My first attempt ended up as a HUGE disaster as I could not get the pizza off the cutting board onto the peel. What I did get on the peel, I could not get off the peel into the oven. My biggest issue probably was the Buffalo Mozzarella (which has a very high moisture content) and this caused the dough to get wet and soggy. That pizza stuck to the floured cutting board like glue. In my searching for help on how to avoid this issue in the future, I came across the SuperPeel (you can research it or ask me questions) but for me, it was a lifesaver. For my next attempt, the SuperPeel helped me get the pizza off the cutting board and into the hot oven. While I have new issues now (burnt the crust) but it was AWESOME to actually cook a pizza in the oven. Just wanted you guys to know what helped me.
    Thanks.
    Matt

You can also lightly dust the counter with some coarse corn meal before you top the pizza. They act like ball bearings and make transferring onto and off of the peel much easier.

Comment

I've seen those before - but I have to say once you have just a bit of experience, dough sticking to the peel is really a non-issue. Plenty of "how to" videos on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8jP7NiTPec

Two suggestions to make using the peel easier:
      1) If using a wood peel - you make the pizza right on the peel, not on a cutting board. You only make the pizza on a different surface if you are using a metal peel
      2) Dust the peel with some flour before putting the dough on there to keep the pizza moving. You can use other materials, but in my experience, in the heat of a WFO other materials (e.g. corn meal, semolina) will end up as a burnt mess on the oven floor. If you use flour, not much transfers so you don't have much mess. The only one worth changing out for is rice flour - which doesn't burn in the oven at all. But its easier to use the same flour that you use on your counter when you are stretching the dough.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
      X