• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kevin

hello does anyone know were to source fire bricks in scotland/ uk

Re: kevin

Hey Kevin!

Welcome to the group.

There have been a couple of postings on where to find fire bricks in the uk. You can find them using the search window.

I think one guy has used brick from old heaters to build an oven as well.

Its amazing how expensive firebricks seem to be in the UK.

Best of luck,

christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Welcome! After seeing so much about the trouble to locate firebrick in the UK and hearing how expensive it can be, I was intrigued enough to do a bit of 'net research and here are some starting points, at least (unless someone from the UK has better suggestions):

Handsworth Refractories - new refractory fire bricks, refractory recycling, redundant stock, refractory services, refractory site clearance & wrecking services

DUDLEY DESIGNS

Handsworth, in Sheffield, as well as selling new firebrick, also has a quantity of 'redundant firebrick for immediate sale', whatever that means - possibly a deal! They may just sell wholesale but could likely provide you with the name of a supplier nearest you.

Dudley (with a bunch of interesting products) sells a wide range of sizes and their 2.5 ' thick bricks are sold in lots of 10 or of 50. The larger quantity breaks down to 1.58 pounds per brick - expensive by North American standards but perhaps not so for the UK. Seems you can have them delivered or pick them up somewhere in the Midlands - not sure what kind of drive that would be for you - there must be somewhere in Scotland that sells them!

A bit of an aside - nothing seemed to turn up specifically for Scotland but what was interesting is that manufacture of firebrick seems to have been HUGE in Scotland, up to the middle of the 20th century. There were some sites showing some old ones with stamped-in names that I'd love to get my hands on! Sadly, the industry seems to have died right out.

BTW, James, if you're reading this, "Firebrick Sources" might be a worthwhile category addition to the forum since it's often one of the first questions posted by people just getting started. Separate threads within the category could address specific countries, states or regions.

Comment

Also, a forum search for "firebrick UK, or fire brick UK" is less than useful because the search function doesn't work with two letter words.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by christo View Post
          Hey Kevin!

Welcome to the group.

There have been a couple of postings on where to find fire bricks in the uk. You can find them using the search window.

I think one guy has used brick from old heaters to build an oven as well.

Its amazing how expensive firebricks seem to be in the UK.

Best of luck,

christo
          thanks cristo never though of storage heater bricks people throw them away here. they are a funny size though about 1 1/2x6x6 but definatly cheeper than $4 per brick.

Comment

thanks to all replys can get as many storage heater brick as i want free only problem is they are 1 1/2 x6 x6. cutting is no problem as i have a dimmond blade still saw. cheepest new bricks have found at?2 /$4 may use these for base.used ones are expensive to ship in small quantitys.thanks again kev

Comment

Working...
            X