oven floor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oven floor question

my question is... are firebricks the only option for the oven floor? could 1 1/4" granite slab work? the reason i ask is i work for a company that owns a granite yard and was thinking about using scrap pieces if possible. i dont plan on building my oven this year, but you never know what can happen tomorrow and it's never too early to start squirreling away supplies when i can get them for free.

Re: oven floor question

I have heard of oven builders using soapstone but not granite...seems a rather mundane spot for a nice piece of stone...not to mention potential hot spots that would make cooking even more of an adventure than these ovens can be...might be better to save that nice stone for someplace visible...the additional cost of the firebrick for the floor is really quite minimal in the grand scheme...and would keep the oven more uniform...IMHO
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Natural stone can have natural inclusions that expand and contract differently to the material around it. They can crack when heated. This is different for each piece of granite. Also Granite has a low thermal conductivity….slow to absorb heat. So using granite may be cheap in materials, but I suspect you would experience more cracking than normal and your oven would require a lot of wood to get going. Granite is also very porous which may or may not be a problem. Overall, an engineered product will give better performance. Since you are starting early, keep your eyes open for used firebrick. I picked up 450 of them for $50. Well worth the wait.

Bruce

You could always send the granite to me for the outside of my oven
      Last edited by brokencookie; 03-23-2008, 01:46 AM.
      Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

thanks for the reply! i wasnt sure of the properties, but thought it was a cool idea if it would've worked. i currently use a piece of travertine in my conventional oven to cook my pizzas and it works great but eventually cracks. i just thought the thickness may have played into it. oh well... as i said work in the tile/granite industry. im sure ill be able to come across some bricks, cinder blocks over the course of the next year and will then just buy the remaining items needed

Comment

Since you work in a stoneyard, you know what flame finishing is: applying intense heat to the surface of the granite to make it chip off for a rustic look. I think building a fire directly on the granite might have the same effect.

Granite chips may not be a good pizza ingredient.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
          X