Used Firebrick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Firebrick?

Anybody know of good sources in the Michigan/Midwest area?
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Used Firebrick?

Ive got a bunch, they are not used, but I got them cheap, and they are pretty cool shapes.

Comment

Just something to consider....

I had originally gone to my local salvage yard looking for firebrick as new ones in West Texas are very expensive for some reason. Found some pretty nice ones for 79 cents each, but as I was talking to the guy he mentioned that the bricks had come from the local smelter plant were they refine copper. He did not know where or what part of the refinery. Anyway, it got me thinking that I did not want any brick that had been anywhere near a metal refining plant. Just seems like it could be permeated with lead or other heavy metals. I may just be paranoid, but for my food oven, I thought it would not be worth the risk. Good luck!

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by edschmidt View Post
        I got them cheap, and they are pretty cool shapes.
        Where did you find inexpensive firebrick? I live east of you a bit.
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

ditto from the west

Comment

ebay, I found a guy in indiana who bought a building which purchased new firebrick for a smelting furnace but never got around to building it. They really are cool, some are 6" thick, and completely arched for the inside of a 36" cylender, others are tapers for around the cylender, others are bright white tapers and for the inside of the furnace, I was told they are 90% alumina, and rated at over 3000 degrees, anyone for an acetalene fired oven, .5 sec pizza?

Comment

I talked with a friend in the demolition business....he says they get firebrick all the time from tearing out old boilers......anyone in the planning stage might want to call their local demoliton contractors.

Are there any negatives in using old boiler firebrick?

Comment

Working...
              X