Need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help.

Hello everyone, I have just started my first wfo and already I think I may have screwd up. I intend on building a 42" pompei oven on a stand of 70"wide X 76.5" depth and plan on using metal studs on doggy house style framing. My question is, have I built my stand too small for this type of oven structure. any help would be greatly appreciated since I have not filled the cmu cores with cement yet.
    thanks
    ivancito

42+8+6+8+2=66 (oven inside dimension/firebrick/insulation/metal stud/stucco) Looks fine to me?

Comment

Thanks for the quik response Tscarborough. as soon as I figure out how to get my wfo project pictures from my cell phone into this forum I will attempt to pick your brains with questions and suggestions and mostly just help since masonry work is not my cup of tea, im a machinist by trade and always tend to overbuild and make dimensions too tight.

Comment

ok so I read I need at least 10 post before I can upload my wfo pics for you guys, so guess ill just type away.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ovenfront.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	986.5 KB
ID:	380365 Click image for larger version

Name:	wetpad.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	792.2 KB
ID:	380357 Click image for larger version

Name:	wire mesh.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	380358 Click image for larger version

Name:	tractor.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	741.9 KB
ID:	380359
          Presently I have my stand waiting to have the 2"x2" angle iron slots cut into the front blocks for the hearth span.
          Last edited by ivancito; 09-01-2015, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ovenside.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1,007.6 KB
ID:	380362 I was fortunate to find all my blocks for free from a leftover auction at a block making facility that closed down. I loaded the back of my pickup truck 6 times and grabbed mostly split face blocks. "If its free give me three" I had to make use of the different colored split faced blocks.
            Last edited by ivancito; 09-01-2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I know I have a long ways to go before completion of my wfo but currently I have spent $75.00 on 40 bags of cement. Oh I also got 1/2 rebar free and 3/4 rebar free. I used the 3/4 for the slab.

Comment

I live in western Massachusetts and we have had some very cold and hard winters. I couldn't find a definitive anwser on proper foundation slab requirements as far as heaving was concerned, many recommended deep footings below frost line, others used sona tubes tied into floating pad on gravel, I basically dug a 24" hole the whole area of my slab and filled it with3/4' gravel/ regular stone and built my slab on that. I used 3/4 rebar and also the thick contractor grade steel remesh sheet (which I also got for free from a construction project at my place of employment).

Comment

I work night shift so the only time I can work on my wfo will be on weekends. This is going to be a slow and delicate operation for me and I hope you guys/gals from this forum can be patient with me.
                  thanks again .

Comment

Just wondering if theres any wfo's in western mass I can take a look at or just check out your pictures on this forum. Im from the small town of Ware right next to the Quabbin reservoir.

Comment

Ivan, the stand looks great. I like the color scheme you did with the block. I agree with Tscarborough that you should have enough space on your stand.

Brian

Comment

Ivan, as you requested, here's a quick sketch of my brick jig, MrChipster also has one that is quite good as well. May not hurt for you to start a thread in the Construction section.This section gets the most views and more likely feedback on your questions.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

HI EVERYONE,
                          JUST HAVE TO SAY HOW AMAZED AND INSPIRED I FEEL AFTER SEEING SO MANY GREAT WFO BUILDS. UNBELIEVABLE HOW EVERYONE FROM BANKERS TO ENGINEERS TO BAKERS ARE TAKING THE PLUNGE AND GETTING R DONE. RIGHT NOW IM FEELING LIKE I DONT KNOW WHAT I GOT MYSELF INTO WITH THIS PROJECT, BUT IM HERE LOOKING FOR HELP AND HOPEING TO LEARN FROM ALL YOU GREAT BUILDERS AROUND THE WORLD OF WFO'S. OK NOW TO MY QUESTION, THE WEEKEND IS UPON ME AND MY NEXT STEP IS TO FILL THE CORES IN MY BLOCK STAND. IM CONFUSED WITH THE REBAR THAT GOES INTO THE SPACED OUT CORES, DO I NEED TO DRILL A HOLE INTO MY BASE PAD TO ACCEPT THE REBAR THUS TYING IT INTO THE BASE OR IS IT OK TO JUST PLACE REBAR INSIDE CORES AND FILL WITH CEMENT, IS OK TO KEEP THE STAND UNATTACHED TO THE BASE?
                          THANKS AGAIN TEAM!
                          IVAN

Comment

It is best if you can drill the rebar into the slab, then the slab and CMUs are tied together, IHMO.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

AWESOME, THANKS UTAHBEEHIVER FOR YOUR HELP BOTH WITH THE SKETCH AND THE REBAR INFO. THIS WEEKEND I WILL DISMANTLE THE CORNERS OF MY STAND AND GET IT DRILLED FOR THE REBAR, IM THINKING JUST THE FOUR CORNERS SHOULD BE GOOD ENOUGH. THE OTHER CORES WILL STILL GET THE REBAR BUT JUST NOT TIED INTO THE BASE. HOPE THIS WORKS.
                              THANKS
                              IVAN

Comment

Working...
                              X